I bought a TJ because why????

Document your builds and projects here
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Re: I bought a TJ because why????

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

I figured I'd get on rebuilding the limited slip.

You have to take this big spring thing out to get the side/spider gears out. It doesn't come out unless you have a gear ratio higher than 3.something. So, ring gear has to come off.
20240427_101505.jpg
Clutches that were in it laid out, and some new stuff:
20240427_104214.jpg
There's shims/thrust washers that it comes with too, in .030, .035, and .040. The ones in it were about .025, but they might just be worn. I'm guessing go with the thickest.

And then I looked at the spider gears:
20240427_111548.jpg
So we're waiting for some new parts. :homer:

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

I bought an A-Premium kit for the side/spiders/clutches/etc for $180 next day on Amazon. It looks okay. If I had realized the gears were NFG I probably would have just bought this kit originally and skipped out on the Ford clutches/plates. Anyway, I put it all back together using the gears from that kit and clutches/plates from Ford (the Ford parts undeniably look better). I could not figure out how to get more clutches in without having access to a surface grinder, which I had and got rid of because I thought it was pretty useless, but there just isn't enough spline on the side gears to put even one more clutch in the stackup without doing some work to thin out the plates or taking down the backside of the gear. Getting the spring back in was a bit interesting, but I managed to squeeze it enough with my Knipex that I could tap it in the rest of the way with a deadblow. I did try to reassemble it with the thickest thrust washer/shim, but I could not get the spider gears in, so I used the second thickest, and there is a little backlash in the gears. It clearly actually works now, so hopefully it works decently enough to be useful offroad.

Clutches from the other side were totally smoked, which I didn't show before:
20240429_120959.jpg
And I've seen it posted before but it's a trick that works so well that it's worth mentioning, use your press to hold the carrier so you can torque the ring gear bolts:
20240429_115919.jpg
Anywho, hopefully I get more done soon.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Another thing I was reading is that guys would buy gear oil without friction modifier, and then add only 1/4 or 1/2 of what you were supposed to. Allegedly that makes them lock up way better, and it would in theory work. I don't know if it actually works better in practice in a low traction scenario, or if it just makes you chirp tires in parking lots. :rasta:

arse_sidewards
Forum Addict
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 17 times

Post by arse_sidewards »

Yeah that makes sense. My understanding is that friction modifiers make shit more slick under high pressure basically by reducing the difference between sliding and static friction giving you a more smooth transition between sliding and not.

I can see omitting it making the clutches more grabby. IDK if it would wear them out faster. But who cares, clutches are cheap.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Finished up the rust removal and hosed some paint on.
20240510_210630.jpg
20240510_210815.jpg