Element Fire Extinguishers

Roll Cages, Harnesses, Fire Extinguishers, etc - If it is safety related it is safe to put it here
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Element Fire Extinguishers

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

So I've seen these being promoted on various Facebook groups, mostly by certain retailers that are charging a ton of money for them.

The question is, do they actually work? They claim a longer "use time" (which doesn't really specify their ability to actually put out a fire), along with being more stable, resistant to vibrations, and not needing any servicing.

Has anyone bought one or seen independent testing?

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Re: Element Fire Extinguishers

There website is here: https://elementfire.com/

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by pointsnorth »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:18 pm There website is here: https://elementfire.com/
just watching their video and not actually reading the info it looks like you have to get in pretty close for it too work is that feasable with say a atf fire in behind say a skidplate/belly pan

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

pointsnorth wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:24 am
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:18 pm There website is here: https://elementfire.com/
just watching their video and not actually reading the info it looks like you have to get in pretty close for it too work is that feasable with say a atf fire in behind say a skidplate/belly pan
Good point. He's closer to that than I'd want to be to any sort of vehicle fire in real life. Get your hand that close to an oil or fuel fire and you're going to get hurt when a line pops or something burns through.

ridenby
Forum Newbie
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by ridenby »

I have a couple of the large ones. hoping to never use them or the 10lbs regular one.

Provience
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Provience »

TOTAL PROTECTION
ELEMENT FIGHTS ALL MAJOR FIRE CLASSES

well, that's a lie. it also says it isn't rated for metal fires :rasta:

found their compare section, says they are using potassium nitrate based instead of CO2, which is probably a closer comparison than sodium bicarbonate dry chem extinguishers.

https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-Dioxide-El ... B001ECQ5MA here is a 5lb CO2

traditional get you quicker deploy time, everybody knows what it is and how to use it, and a bit more range. you have to be one it with the Element stick because, as a gas, it dissipates quickly into the air and doesn't have much charge push behind it, hence the longer run time.

probably hand to have, but for the price, i'll stick with a couple dry chem extinguishers and replace them every 5-10 years
Up is difficult, down is dangerous

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Provience wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:49 am probably hand to have, but for the price, i'll stick with a couple dry chem extinguishers and replace them every 5-10 years
That's what I've gone with mostly. Larger ABC dry chemical ones, flip them every month. I do have a halon one in my XJ right now though, but that was only because it was free. It won't put out much of a fire though, halon doesn't go very far unless it's in a confined space. I might swap it out for a dry chemical at some point.

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

flip them every month? hell, better than me :laughing:

i figure if the ones in the building don't get shit done to 'em except replaced every few years, then even just being in a car will vibrate it enough to keep it loose.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Provience wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:34 pm flip them every month? hell, better than me :laughing:

i figure if the ones in the building don't get shit done to 'em except replaced every few years, then even just being in a car will vibrate it enough to keep it loose.
It's the other way around. The vibration packs them, it will turn the powder into a solid cake. It's a known and documented problem. One of the mines I worked in pulled all of them off their gensets because that was exactly what would happen to them, and instead mounted them on poles or stands near them, the genset is the least ideal environment because it's a such a consistent vibration and it will easily pack them to the point they will not work at all. But even service trucks, ships, and aircraft are known to do it. One of the big problems is you don't test them ever, you just look at the gauge, and if it's in the green it's good to go, right? It's so rare that people go to use them that the actual in service failure rate is not exposed.

Now, if you're doing some SCORE style jumps or something, that would probably keep them loose. :lmao:

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

huh, shit i have one mounted to the fender on my genset trailer :laughing: guess that would be the worst of both worlds, vibrates while running and while getting towed.

thanks for the tip!

ridenby
Forum Newbie
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by ridenby »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:56 pm
Provience wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:34 pm flip them every month? hell, better than me :laughing:

It's the other way around. The vibration packs them, it will turn the powder into a solid cake. It's a known and documented problem. One of the mines I worked in pulled all of them off their gensets because that was exactly what would happen to them, and instead mounted them on poles or stands near them, the genset is the least ideal environment because it's a such a consistent vibration and it will easily pack them to the point they will not work at all. But even service trucks, ships, and aircraft are known to do it. One of the big problems is you don't test them ever, you just look at the gauge, and if it's in the green it's good to go, right? It's so rare that people go to use them that the actual in service failure rate is not exposed.

Now, if you're doing some SCORE style jumps or something, that would probably keep them loose. :lmao:
That is the main reason for getting the element ex. that and less than a 10lbs ex is a joke when your junk is burning.