Wheeling solo

Roll Cages, Harnesses, Fire Extinguishers, etc - If it is safety related it is safe to put it here
pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Wheeling solo

Post by pointsnorth »

So who wheels solo and how far will you push your rig. Asking as I’m currently super stuck waiting on hillbilt to save my ass.

Tried taking a short cut while hunting to get to a fishing hole. Other trucks had done the unplowed road. I got a couple kms in and found they had turned around. That was also 12 inches of snow less then. I backed up several hundred yards to a intersection and tried to turn around. A winch fest ensued as I winched up and around a hillside. My last pull was a road sign across the main road. It didn’t even move my tj before snapping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Re: Wheeling solo

Post by pointsnorth »

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

Twenty plus years of wheeling some really bad situations and the first time I’m like yep goin to need a assist

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 69 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Post by Scoobienorth »

Man that reminds me of when I broke the front chromoly axle in the tj-6 in 3-4 feet of sugary snow. Found a spare axle from a friend in bcjeepclub and offered to run it to me. But I knew I was in a bad spot. Spent 3 hours fighting in 2wd to get turned around and back out. Winched a pile, made traction boards by weaving willows, shoveled. Was in and out so many times the snow was level with the seat inside the rig. I pack with stuff usually including dry firewood and enough basics I can survive a night without major issues and a couple days If I have to. Good thing I fight my way out because they couldn’t get up to where I was stuck at

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

Yeah this was that 3-4 foot of sugar on the bottom and the 12 inches of mouldable slush on the top.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Oh and I got the tundra stuck with the family this year. My daughter talked me into trying a tougher line on a hill with a deac. I slid sideways and highway Centered it. I jacked up of the frame where I could and rock stacked until I was almost free and couldn’t get the last bit. Saved by an old timer who couldn’t get to me but had tire chains that I tossed on to finish chewing myself out

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Parked my quad way up a mountain another time wrapped it in a tree overhanging a bank. Had to walk out, rolled my quad another time about 12 barrel rolls. Stopped upside down 6 feet up a tree. I got it out of the tree but couldn’t get it started. Another long walk and a couple grand in repairs.

Man this topic is bringing back lots of memories. No wonder I’m seriously considering a Zoleo satellite communication setup

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Pack a 200' extension of synthetic. Weighs like 5lbs, throw it in a bag so it doesn't get fucked up. Looks like it would have got you farther than that street sign you mutilated. :lmao:

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

Yeah I did 8 winch pulls before snapping off the bridge sign.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

And that was with the warn vr there is no way the smittybilt would of taken half the abuse. I’m talking 120 degree side pull to get me turned around.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote:Pack a 200' extension of synthetic. Weighs like 5lbs, throw it in a bag so it doesn't get fucked up. Looks like it would have got you farther than that street sign you mutilated. :lmao:
I usually pack a 40 forty foot strap but it seems to have gone missing. That alone would have given me more options

Hillbilt had a hell of a time getting turned around on the road with the packed ruts. He hasn’t had time to fix the rear air locker since the last trip. Once we had me back on the main road we stayed roped together and made it out to the plowed roads drama free.

Johnny5
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Johnny5 »

Sounds like a blast hahaha. Good stories