Fuel cells in street driven rig

Roll Cages, Harnesses, Fire Extinguishers, etc - If it is safety related it is safe to put it here
pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Fuel cells in street driven rig

Post by pointsnorth »

got a customer build coming up and one of the main things the customer wants is to convert the truck back to gas from propane as he has found it hard to find fuel stations open when he need fuel. the original fuel tank is long gone and so are the fuel lines.

is there anything wrong with running a fuel cell meant for oval track racing on the box? customer ask this question and I didnt really have a definitive answer for him

as long as its mounted properly and plumbed correctly i see no issue legally or performace wise

Johnny5
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Re: Fuel cells in street driven rig

Post by Johnny5 »

I can see there may be a need for a firewall? Like in hit to pass cars. But legally speaking i dont know

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

All there is in the MVA is this:

Fuel tank
10.16 In the case of a commercial passenger vehicle having a seating capacity including the driver of more than 12 occupants, no part of the fuel tank or container or intake pipe shall project beyond the sides or rear of the vehicle or be located within the passenger compartment.

Which is not applicable.

You will possibly run afoul of emissions legalities depending if it's a pre-89 (IIRC) vehicle or not, but that's a technicality at best.

I could see a LEO taking offense to it, but I don't know where it says it is illegal. You see hotrods/ratrods using all sorts of shit for tanks and they get away with it.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by pointsnorth »

what about the fact its for oval track? I dont see an issue with it

Mr.gutsy
Forum Addict
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Mr.gutsy »

Unless it has a bladder that will breakdown with the ethanol mixed fuels it doesnt matter. Just the pick up will be in a weird spot. As long as the tank is secured and away from exhaust with a proper vent I would pass it.