Electronic e-brake caliper setup

Chassis, suspension, tires, etc
pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Electronic e-brake caliper setup

Post by pointsnorth »

Seen this the other day buddy has been working on this setup for a flat fender setup. Vw-Audi caliper with factory electronic ebrake setup. Can use samurai front disc or Toyota mini truck10 mm rotors
Image Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny5
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Re: Electronic e-brake caliper setup

Post by Johnny5 »

Neat. Curious to know if you have to hold brakes then “set” solinoid or if it has enough spring strength to apply brake enough to hold

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

It sounds like the motor applies the piston then it’s a matter of reversing the motor to retract the piston

Johnny5
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Johnny5 »

Ya prob spring on and powered off like a f150 hub.
So if ya cut that wire ya brakes jam on haha. Guess if ya kept it protected it would be aight. Also see an issue with a dead battery and no ability to push the bitch. I like the idea tho

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

it basically 12 volt motor with a reduction gear set to a push rod it can be applied with 12 volts then reversed and the push rod retacted. so no issue with cut/broken wires jamming the brakes on. plus once applied or released its not using power to stay in that position using a three position momentary switch make for a pretty simple system setup

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 142 times
Been Liked: 48 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

I've heard of them being used and definitely find it interesting. I wonder if there's something smaller that could be used on a tcase output brake? The other mechanical options are expensive or crappy.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

Ford Focus rotors are a common transfercase E-brake rotor to use on the ford E-vans 4x4 conversions that I’ve worked on. Might be worth doing some diggin

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

pointsnorth wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:00 pm Ford Focus rotors are a common transfercase E-brake rotor to use on the ford E-vans 4x4 conversions that I’ve worked on. Might be worth doing some diggin

I'll check Rockauto for some specs. :cheers:

Mr.gutsy
Forum Addict
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Mr.gutsy »

Interesting idea solves having to dick around with ebrake cables on custom applications. I wouldnt want that under my 4x4 getting drug through gravel roads and water crossings though. I also wonder how the factory limits the travel of that motor if you put it on a switch do you have to guess when to turn off current going to it? Will it just run until the motor burns out?

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Mr.gutsy wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:06 pm I also wonder how the factory limits the travel of that motor if you put it on a switch do you have to guess when to turn off current going to it? Will it just run until the motor burns out?
Likely it has a low stall current and just goes "grrrrrr" until you stop pushing the button. If you held it for a half hour it might not be good, but for the half second it takes to engage it shouldn't matter if you hold it for another half second...

Or so I'm guessing.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

This direct off his page

Do you want an EEbrake disc brake conversion for your early jeep axle? I have had a prototype on Brian Gabriel's flat fender running around since EJS and would like to move forward with a wider Beta test. This conversion was originally designed for 1971 to 1975 Dana 44 semi-float rear axles, but I was able to make it reverse compatible on the early axles also. This system is designed around using a VW/Audi electric hydraulic caliper to provide a very strong emergency/parking brake system that doesn't require a traditional cable or lever in the passenger space. This caliper had a small 12v electric motor that drives a gearbox with an acme screw that presses on the main piston. In it's most simple form all you need is a DPDT momentary rocker switch to control the motor. You can also control each caliper independently with an additional switch to allow a basic cutting brake system to increase the manuverability of the vehicle. This is a beta test. There will be small issues along the way that you may have to work through during the install as we further develop this system. I am using the same tracker/sidekick non-vented rotor as my other conversions.

Master Yota
Forum Newbie

Post by Master Yota »

Those would be great for parking or cutting brakes on an offroad trailer
1993 Fzj80 Landcruiser
1991 Toyota pickup
1953 M37
1996 Dodge 2500

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer