Winch plate thickness

Chassis, suspension, tires, etc
Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Winch plate thickness

Post by Scoobienorth »

My tj is getting my old m8000 warn. I’ve got a chunk of 3/16 plate here at work that is close to the size I need in the scrap. With reinforcement gussets is it strong enough? Or should I use 1/4” plate?

Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Re: Winch plate thickness

Post by Snowracer »

i think with some good gussets and lay out it would be fine on a smaller rig like your Jeep

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

I managed to find a junk piece of 1/4” plate the right size.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Most aftermarket bumpers aren't any thicker than 3/16", and they will hold a winch just fine. So yeah, with gussets it wouldn't have been an issue.

But 1/4" works too.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

I kinda shrunk my design a bit using 1/4” plate, leaving not really much room for gussets. It barely fits my winch. I should have it welded up tomorrow with some luck. Just doing it in my spare time at work. I’ve got a coworker who’s off this week but has been trying to get me into 3D modeling and I might wind up redoing this, making something nicer and cleaner. I really want to get the winch in place though, so this may stay a while or forever. I’m trying to stay motivated and make steady progress to get the Jeep useable to its full potential. Functional winch and body lift to make a little more room for decent tires and a bit of maintenance and it’ll be there, then I can get fancier building it.