What's the new favourite snow wheeling tire?

Chassis, suspension, tires, etc
Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Re: What's the new favourite snow wheeling tire?

Post by Scoobienorth »

Johnny5 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:18 am
Scoobienorth wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:48 pm The one thing I did miss with my long winded anti beadlock thing, with my iroks I had issues with spinning the rim inside the tire. My radials never really did that but the iroks sure did. I think bigger tires will also be prone to that which requires beadlocks. I like icons news beadlock design that doesn’t use a conventional ring but that still won’t stop it from spinning either
I ran old ass bald 36 inch radial iroks 13.5 wide in the Toyota with 2 psi and never spun em haha the key is having just enough power to turn em in the snow, no more lol but that thing worked amazing in the snow

Man my 4.0 with the 42re has a whopping 23:1 crawl ratio. At times I would be 3/4 throttle to gently lift off. I suspect your old tires were dry rotted to the rims.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Scoobienorth wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:10 pm I think the ltb’s might be hard to keep on the bead. But having seen multiple rigs running 2-4 psi without beadlocks and getting away with some really sketchy stuff, the radials with something similar to the method trail series bead grip are my preference. Way easier to install, and way lighter. My procomp wheels have something similar to the bead grip from method but no where near as good and at 2 psi I slid sideways off a 6 foot high snowbank and never took the bead off with my milestars. The bias tires and heavier and the sidewalls react different though I don’t have much experience aside from popping the iroks of A few times. I really haven’t taken a radial off except for when I hit a culvert with the tire turned full lock. And from the pics it’s hard to believe I didn’t pop that tire off but it actually stayed on. It was really close to flopping and slid hard
The LTBs have DIY beadlocks on the outer bead, and Brad said he hasn't had any issues with blowing the inner bead at low pressure.

Apparently there is some (considerable) variation between tire/wheel manufacturers/models and some combinations like to blow the bead. I was told Iroks prefer at least a couple wraps of duct tape on the bead area of the wheel as they are a bit too big on the bead.

The other option is to glue them on. Rust/rot does a good job of this if you wait long enough, but guys were using roof patching material and baking it with a heat lamp, or Sitkaflex (nasty shit), or roofing polyurethane. I've never tried any of those things so ehhh.

WelfareDuty
Web Wheeler
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by WelfareDuty »

7000lb rig full hydro. Never had any bead slippage. Inner or outer. Bent rims running 4psi. The only time I lost the inner bead was racing running laps on a flat tireImageImageImage

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk