What's the new favourite snow wheeling tire?

Chassis, suspension, tires, etc
Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Re: What's the new favourite snow wheeling tire?

Post by Snowracer »

if you want to get serious about snow wheeling

http://www.stonetusk.ca/40--4-ply.html

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Post by Scoobienorth »

The best snow tire is almost always the biggest one you can run first and foremost.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Snowracer wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:38 am if you want to get serious about snow wheeling

http://www.stonetusk.ca/40--4-ply.html
That's not cheap... Load range might be a little too low too. :lmao:

The 4-ply 35" ones would be awesome on a more stock XJ or Samurai or something else that's quite light.
Scoobienorth wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:09 pm The best snow tire is almost always the biggest one you can run first and foremost.
Yup.

And can afford. :homer:

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

meh this is the 49s that are a 2ply on a full size rockwell chevy

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

but in reality those are dedicated trail rig. i feel like you still want something you can drive to the trail, air down and slay some snow with.

might be worth looking at the BFG MT3s and the Goodyear MTRs as both those come in a 38,39 and 40". lots of mixed reviews on them for snow wheeling as some people say the MTR is the best tire ever and some say they are garbage so its really hard to say

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Snowracer wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:22 pm but in reality those are dedicated trail rig. i feel like you still want something you can drive to the trail, air down and slay some snow with.

might be worth looking at the BFG MT3s and the Goodyear MTRs as both those come in a 38,39 and 40". lots of mixed reviews on them for snow wheeling as some people say the MTR is the best tire ever and some say they are garbage so its really hard to say
I plan just to trailer it for the winter. The fucking thing is a god damn squirrel on the road since I moved the lower links (and then smashed the brackets so bad that adjusting them is unlikely to be easy), I'm not adding winter driving into that mix. :lmao:

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

I guess I'm the proud new owner of some 40" LTBs.

:lmao:

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:39 pm I guess I'm the proud new owner of some 40" LTBs.

:lmao:
ya you are :stirpot:

WelfareDuty
Web Wheeler
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by WelfareDuty »

Slightly used , never been off road, lady driven, never been aired down past 30psi LTBs!

Sent from my ELE-L04 using Tapatalk

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by pointsnorth »

I have seen lots of the one guys running the procomp mt2 with good results. There is always a ton of stock for most big sizes thru 4wp and they are cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

pointsnorth wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:34 am I have seen lots of the one guys running the procomp mt2 with good results. There is always a ton of stock for most big sizes thru 4wp and they are cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
$677 for the 40x13.5R17. I guess that is on the cheaper side still, but ehhh, not cheap. They do have stock though.

Somewhat related, even though I've already got my solution for this winter. What do people think of the aluminum beadlock wheels that are now somewhat readily available? Was thinking about getting myself a Christmas present so I've got beadlocks for next summer season. Vision makes the Manx ones and they aren't horribly expensive, Pro Comp makes some too, and Ion Alloy it looks like. Not sure if I want to do this or not, the Toyos performed fine at about 14-16PSI and it didn't seem like they were at any risk of losing a bead at that pressure on the Dodge wheels.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

9CD7E463-A157-4759-A9C2-03A71103C0CA.png
97826357-208B-4F22-9E58-9D908552BC48.png
I think the ltb’s might be hard to keep on the bead. But having seen multiple rigs running 2-4 psi without beadlocks and getting away with some really sketchy stuff, the radials with something similar to the method trail series bead grip are my preference. Way easier to install, and way lighter. My procomp wheels have something similar to the bead grip from method but no where near as good and at 2 psi I slid sideways off a 6 foot high snowbank and never took the bead off with my milestars. The bias tires and heavier and the sidewalls react different though I don’t have much experience aside from popping the iroks of A few times. I really haven’t taken a radial off except for when I hit a culvert with the tire turned full lock. And from the pics it’s hard to believe I didn’t pop that tire off but it actually stayed on. It was really close to flopping and slid hard

SasquatchCdn
Web Wheeler
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by SasquatchCdn »

The biggest tire you can fit is going to be the best.

For their size the best snow wheeling tire I've ever ran is still the irok.
There's nothing between a 42 and a 49 though :(

Pretty much every tire is going to benefit from grooving and/or siping to make them work proper.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

The one thing I did miss with my long winded anti beadlock thing, with my iroks I had issues with spinning the rim inside the tire. My radials never really did that but the iroks sure did. I think bigger tires will also be prone to that which requires beadlocks. I like icons news beadlock design that doesn’t use a conventional ring but that still won’t stop it from spinning either

Johnny5
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Johnny5 »

Scoobienorth wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:48 pm The one thing I did miss with my long winded anti beadlock thing, with my iroks I had issues with spinning the rim inside the tire. My radials never really did that but the iroks sure did. I think bigger tires will also be prone to that which requires beadlocks. I like icons news beadlock design that doesn’t use a conventional ring but that still won’t stop it from spinning either
I ran old ass bald 36 inch radial iroks 13.5 wide in the Toyota with 2 psi and never spun em haha the key is having just enough power to turn em in the snow, no more lol but that thing worked amazing in the snow