What's the new favourite snow wheeling tire?

Chassis, suspension, tires, etc
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

What's the new favourite snow wheeling tire?

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Seems like guys still figure the Irok is a good contender.

What else?

Would be a 37"ish Xsomething R17 if I decide I can justify it.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Re: What's the new favourite snow wheeling tire?

Post by Scoobienorth »

The iroks are solid, I’d lean radial though as they air down better but both are still really good. My milestar pats impressed me, always leaving me towards the front of the pack, but with all the recent attention I’ve seen of them getting sidewalls punctured I’d stay away for sure. I’m curious to my ko2’s and how they do. They get really mixed reviews 50/50 love or straight up hate. But the 39” size would be a solid 37 I think. My favorite snow tire has always been the interco truxus mt radial. Really good on the ice, Aires down way better than any other tire I’ve seen. Full depth sipes and soft compound right to the bottom of the tread. They are the only tire I’ve seen in the snow that doesn’t need siping or grooving added.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Is anything from Interco actually available for purchase, or still backordered to the moon?

Didn't consider the TrXus M/T, it's probably lighter... I know the hardcore guys were using the STS, but I'm not sure where the line is drawn with that because they have eleventybillion HP. Guys also seem to like the Cooper SST Pro, but I think they're basing that on it being able to do more than just snow. I'm not giving up my Toyos for summer use, so I really only want something that shines in snow.

The 37x12.5R17 TrXus M/T is 78lb. The 39.5x14.5R17 is 89lbs. My 37" Toyo M/Ts are 94lbs. :laughing:

I wonder if I should stop being a loser and go with a wheel with less BS, add some bumpstop (and maybe a 3/4" spacer in front) and go with a 38/39"~ tire instead. :homer:

Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Post by Snowracer »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:56 pm I wonder if I should stop being a loser and go with a wheel with less BS, add some bumpstop (and maybe a 3/4" spacer in front) and go with a 38/39"~ tire instead. :homer:
yes stop being a loser, bigger and wider is always better for snow. 37s on tons is kinda small for snow wheeling.

hear good things about the Nittos and the Mickey's in the snow, and can get them unlike Interco

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Snowracer wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:20 pm
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:56 pm I wonder if I should stop being a loser and go with a wheel with less BS, add some bumpstop (and maybe a 3/4" spacer in front) and go with a 38/39"~ tire instead. :homer:
yes stop being a loser, bigger and wider is always better for snow. 37s on tons is kinda small for snow wheeling.

hear good things about the Nittos and the Mickey's in the snow, and can get them unlike Interco
Was selling myself on some Iroks... That blows if they're not available, but no surprise.

Which Nittos and Mickeys work best? Nitto makes way more styles of tire than I realized. I'm assuming the Baja Claw is still supreme out of the Mickey options for snow?

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

The M/T Baja Pro XS is available in a 38x13.5R17, 90lbs. Eh. The 40x13.5R17 is 99lbs and load range C, so it's probably more squishy. Not sure about that tread design though, seems like I'd need more HP to make that work.

The Baja Boss X is available in a 40x13.5R17, load range B (wow, 2680lbs at 25PSI :laughing: ), and weighs 99lbs. Seems heavy. Wonder how it would do?

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:45 pm Was selling myself on some Iroks... That blows if they're not available, but no surprise.

Which Nittos and Mickeys work best? Nitto makes way more styles of tire than I realized. I'm assuming the Baja Claw is still supreme out of the Mickey options for snow?
39.5 Icocks would be pretty wicked set up on your XJ :rainbow:

Both the trail grappler and even the mud grapplers work well. There is a bunch of toy guys that run the mud grapplers with lots of extra grooving and swear by them. Once again its hard to get the claws as been replaced by the Baja Pro now and they seem to be the new go to "big" tire. Down side is those are all heavy tires compared to anything Interco offers

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Snowracer wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:55 pm
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:45 pm Was selling myself on some Iroks... That blows if they're not available, but no surprise.

39.5 Icocks would be pretty wicked set up on your XJ :rainbow:

Both the trail grappler and even the mud grapplers work well. There is a bunch of toy guys that run the mud grapplers with lots of extra grooving and swear by them. Once again its hard to get the claws as been replaced by the Baja Pro now and they seem to be the new go to "big" tire. Down side is those are all heavy tires compared to anything Interco offers
Yeah, the Baja Claw isn't listed on their site anymore, was going WTF until I realized what was going on. They're all fucking heavy though (see post above).

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

The Baja claw ttc radial is long gone. Lots of guys down south have trail grapplers. Great tire, I still didn’t like their ice performance. The cooper stt pro I swear they people that like them in the snow haven’t ever run a decent tire. I seen Steve slide backwards down hunters range with his when Brian and I barely needed 4wd. His duratracs were 10 times the tire compared to the stt pro. I agree a 37 seems small for your one ton diffs but if you can’t clear taller easily I’d definitely try to go wider. Some of the wider 38” options maybe. The wider tire is great for spring snow that is packing, in the sugar or deep powder they rob a ton of powder and on the tj-6 and the wj the narrower tires performed better. The Kelowna guys are really liking the Bajapro xs. They are kinda like a bogger though and you really need to know how to drive them without digging yourself to stuck.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

All of the above reasons are why I’d try to go irok. They are fairly light, float well, aggressive enough to get the job done and surprisingly not bad on ice. I’d see if they can be found otherwise I don’t think any of the other tires mentioned are better enough than the Toyo you have to warrant switching

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:58 pm They're all fucking heavy though (see post above).
thats the down side of looking at radial tires, they are for packing weight and long life so are heavy. Inteco tire are bias and meant for wheeling so will be lighter

even your 37s Toyos show 99 pounds ship weight
Last edited by Snowracer on Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Scoobienorth wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:35 pm All of the above reasons are why I’d try to go irok. They are fairly light, float well, aggressive enough to get the job done and surprisingly not bad on ice. I’d see if they can be found otherwise I don’t think any of the other tires mentioned are better enough than the Toyo you have to warrant switching
toyo mt's are pretty much the worst tire for snow, right there next to a sticky tires :lmao:

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Snowracer wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:38 am
Scoobienorth wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:35 pm All of the above reasons are why I’d try to go irok. They are fairly light, float well, aggressive enough to get the job done and surprisingly not bad on ice. I’d see if they can be found otherwise I don’t think any of the other tires mentioned are better enough than the Toyo you have to warrant switching
toyo mt's are pretty much the worst tire for snow, right there next to a sticky tires :lmao:
Some guys seem to do alright with the toyo, they need siping , and really low air pressure though. Really depends on conditions though. If I couldn’t get an irok, truxus or something dramatically different than the toyo I’m not sure the rest of the radial mt crowd is 2-3 grand better, lots are definitely better, but by that much?????

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Throwing a wildcard , Mickey thompson Baja Boss at, not sure if they are available or not either, but semi aggressive, snowflake rested means compound should be good And sounds be a strong tire

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Scoobienorth wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:48 am Throwing a wildcard , Mickey thompson Baja Boss at, not sure if they are available or not either, but semi aggressive, snowflake rested means compound should be good And sounds be a strong tire
They come in a 37x12.5R17, and load range D, and 80lbs.

But at the end of the day here I do think I want to go bigger if I do this. It doesn't really make sense to buy a tire that is the same size (the Toyos are actually wider at listed 13.5", but apparently measure 13.8" wide) if it's only going to perform marginally better. The reason I constrained the build to 37s originally was to keep it streetable and quasi-legal appearing, which meant keeping the tires somewhat under the fender flares, which is irrelevant in the winter. The only constraint is it would have to fit between my trailer fenders, because while I want to convert it to drive over I have a lot of other things to do. :lmao: If go to a lower BS wheel, spacer, and adjust the bumpstops I should be able to fit a 38/39/40ish tire. I just need to do some measuring to make sure.