BC vehicle inspection criteria

Chassis, suspension, tires, etc
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

BC vehicle inspection criteria

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Does anyone have a check sheet or something like that for what is done on a passenger vehicle inspection in BC?

A guy I work with has a muscle car he brought in from out of province and needs to get inspected. I haven't seen it, so I don't know how big of a POS it is. Was hoping to give him something as a starting point before he wastes any time or money taking it somewhere.

Johnny5
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Re: BC vehicle inspection criteria

Post by Johnny5 »

I believe it is basically everything has to be decent. No holes in seats, no play in front end. Parking brakes and lights all in there correct spots

arse_sidewards
Forum Addict
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 17 times

Post by arse_sidewards »

Johnny5 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:19 pm I believe it is basically everything has to be decent. No holes in seats, no play in front end. Parking brakes and lights all in there correct spots
Which is a massive pain in the ass on any vehicle over 30 that gets driven any appreciable amount.

I would gladly do some ISIS/cartel shit to the lawmakers that make those kinds of rules.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

arse_sidewards wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:50 am
Johnny5 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:19 pm I believe it is basically everything has to be decent. No holes in seats, no play in front end. Parking brakes and lights all in there correct spots
Which is a massive pain in the ass on any vehicle over 30 that gets driven any appreciable amount.

I would gladly do some ISIS/cartel shit to the lawmakers that make those kinds of rules.
Yup.

At least here it's only if you import (out of province or country) or you get an inspection order. But still sucks. I helped a friend bondo the rockers on his truck because apparently they wouldn't pass it with any rust holes in it, even though it was just a few pinholes and didn't look that bad. That said, I managed to get a POS lifted Toyota truck to pass between some maintenance and a lot of hiding things. One of the weird requirements (to me) was they wanted all the instruments in the cluster working, when many vehicles don't come with any other than a speedo and maybe temperature. It had a V8 swapped in so the tach didn't work, had never been wired in and was for the wrong number of cylinders if it could be even, so I just cut up a lid off a yogurt container and made a blanking plate that I painted and glued over it. Somehow that was totally fine. They also wanted all new ujoints in the driveshafts, which were not worn out, so I just brake cleaned them and hit them with a can of paint, then greased them again. The whole process seemed like they had an arbitrary list of things they wanted fixed, I think just hoping they would be given the work to do it, meanwhile they missed a bunch of totally screwed up things on it. :lmao:

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Post by Scoobienorth »

That reminds me of importing the mitsubishi Jeep that Brian has now. Most of the process was fair and I needed a pedal cover which was random and in stock in Vernon lordco and the other was it had a bias ply spare tire and that failed. If I had brought the vehicle in with no spare tire and rack it would have passed. But I wound up buying a cheap used tire from kal tire that was close enough in size to get past the inspection.

Although it’s a pain to go through there’s a lot of vehicles on the road that wouldn’t hurt to go through an inspection

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Scoobienorth wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:23 am Although it’s a pain to go through there’s a lot of vehicles on the road that wouldn’t hurt to go through an inspection
There's lots that are 100% unsafe, but that's not who gets targeted.

I know guys who had fresh inspection decals and were issued new VIs because the cop didn't think it should have passed.

I really wish they had a clear cut criteria, although at the same time I'd not like to see that because it likely would include things that would automatically make it impossible to modify anything. We'd wind up like Hawaii with super wide tires that are stock height. :rasta:

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Post by Scoobienorth »

Or like Australia and need to get the vehicle engineered for every mod you do

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Scoobienorth wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:33 pm Or like Australia and need to get the vehicle engineered for every mod you do
Which means nobody does and they just hope for the best.

arse_sidewards
Forum Addict
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 17 times

Post by arse_sidewards »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:22 am The whole process seemed like they had an arbitrary list of things they wanted fixed, I think just hoping they would be given the work to do it, meanwhile they missed a bunch of totally screwed up things on it. :lmao:
That's exactly what it is.

Here in MA the 3rd party contractor that provided the training seminars and all the IT infrastructure for the inspections was very open about "The point of the safety inspection is to make your state license that covers both safety and emission lucrative to have so that you are incentivized not to cheat the emissions inspections that are otherwise a huge waste of your time for what the fee nets you."

The untold number of millions that has cost people over the years is mind blowing.
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:43 pm Which means nobody does and they just hope for the best.
Once again, that's the point. Power of arbitrary enforcement. Police state loves that shit.