Converting my plow truck back to gas.

Chassis, suspension, tires, etc
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Converting my plow truck back to gas.

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Pretty over running my plow truck on propane. All my forklift cylinders are out of date, and one has a failed fill valve, and another has a failed liquid valve. I bolted a big fuckoff tank onto the deck that still had propane in it, tried hooking it up and the valve on it had failed too, so I can't even get the propane out of it without it leaking everywhere. :headbang:

Anyway, what makes the most sense?

I think one of those plastic boat gas tanks strapped to the deck for a tank would be good enough?
This style:
81fQt8g8nsS._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I can either plop a mechanical pump back onto the engine, it has the hole for it, and the cam lobe is there... I believe. I never ran this engine on gasoline. Or I could just buy a cheapy electric pump? Any ideas on a cheap electric pump? Or mount the gas tank on the roof, fuck it?

I picked up this crusty QuadraJunk:
20220610_115242.jpg
Pretty certain the Edelbrock intake I have is not meant for a spread bore, so I just need this adapter plate:

Then it's just fuck with the throttle linkage, vacuum lines, reset the timing... Wiring for electric choke? And remove the propane bits. I guess if I really wanted to be right I could set the plug gap a little tighter too.

Anything I'm forgetting? It's not a high CR engine or anything, it will run on pump gas.

arse_sidewards
Forum Addict
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 17 times

Re: Converting my plow truck back to gas.

Post by arse_sidewards »

Boat tank with a Ford frame rail pump mounted below the level of the tank is a tried and true solution. You might want a boat style bulb to prime the frame rail pump the first time or when you run it dry.

I'm not a big fan of diaphragm pumps. They have a habit of leaking all the fuel into the oil when they die.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

arse_sidewards wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:19 am Boat tank with a Ford frame rail pump mounted below the level of the tank is a tried and true solution. You might want a boat style bulb to prime the frame rail pump the first time or when you run it dry.

I'm not a big fan of diaphragm pumps. They have a habit of leaking all the fuel into the oil when they die.
I think I'm going to put the tank inside a Rubbermaid action packer tub and mount the pump in there. It just keeps the snow off the tank that way, and makes everything really easy. But we'll see. There's a bunch of dirt cheap pumps on Amazon, but I'll look at the Ford one.

HMF
Forum Addict
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 9 times

Post by HMF »

I know I’m probably a little late I’m this but that propane place on first ave, closer to the bridge heading east fills and recerts bottles. I brought them an expired tank to fill this fall and it cost me I think $20 for a new valve and the recert. Then they filled it

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

HMF wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:20 am I know I’m probably a little late I’m this but that propane place on first ave, closer to the bridge heading east fills and recerts bottles. I brought them an expired tank to fill this fall and it cost me I think $20 for a new valve and the recert. Then they filled it
Well I never got around to doing this so I might take one of the steel bottles to them. They looked at the one aluminum bottle I have and he figured the valve probably wasn't going to come out without taking all the threads with it, I guess it's a common problem. The steel ones are less likely to be an issue.

Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Post by Snowracer »

i had to fill my plow truck up this weekend, wasnt able to get my propane tank filled till the 3rd station. little sketchy when truck is not legal and im driving it there :homer:

getting harder to fill a propane truck as i dont have a removable tank like you do

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Snowracer wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:12 am getting harder to fill a propane truck as i dont have a removable tank like you do
Even with them it's a frustrating experience.

I'd totally have converted this thing to gas by now if I wasn't lazy. :laughing: