Dana 30 info

Chassis, suspension, tires, etc
Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Re: Dana 30 info

Post by Snowracer »

so to try and add some "beef" :lmao: to the housing C gussets and sleeve the tubes?

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Post by Scoobienorth »

Snowracer wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:56 am so to try and add some "beef" :lmao: to the housing C gussets and sleeve the tubes?
Ya. I’d beef the housing. I thinks truss is better than sleeving but anything helps. Doesn’t need to be fancy something over the Center section or around it to tie both sides together and gusset the c’s. I bent my tj rubicon one from back when I was new and I was fairly hard on it but not crazy. Keeping weight down also helps the bending issue along with enough uptravel and softer bump stops so it doesn’t shock the housing so hard and lighter wheel/tire package. But you know all this stuff already. It’s not a one ton so you can’t overbuild the rig or it’ll be too heavy to hold up. That’s my $.02 I think the utv tires will be good fit for whatever you’re building up.

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

reason for the sleeves is i need to make it pass drop so buying the inner sleeve kit would help with lining it back up after cutting. rig would be in the 2500 pound range and maybe 80hp on 33s so thats why im thinking a 30 would be about perfect

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Snowracer wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:10 am reason for the sleeves is i need to make it pass drop so buying the inner sleeve kit would help with lining it back up after cutting. rig would be in the 2500 pound range and maybe 80hp on 33s so thats why im thinking a 30 would be about perfect

I see what you’re doing. Ya that makes sense and will work fine.

Johnny5
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Johnny5 »

Pfft 80 horse and your worried about breaking a straight axle? Why not install Toyota ifs? It takes 36 inch tires for years and has real ground clearance, plus prob stronger than anything jeep makes hahaha

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Action Fab's ghetto XJ had a shaved/polished turdy-30.

If it's low weight I see zero issue using the XJ HP housing. I'd put the ZJ CV shafts in it too, they seem to hold up better than the regular shafts, even the 297X joint ones, and they're cheap. To have brakes and wheel bearings that aren't weird, get a 92ish+ housing (I'd have to check when the change happened), or just plan to swap the WJ outers on. Earlier stuff used strange collections of parts, which are mostly available, but more money and less likely to be in stock.

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Johnny5 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:54 am Pfft 80 horse and your worried about breaking a straight axle? Why not install Toyota ifs? It takes 36 inch tires for years and has real ground clearance, plus prob stronger than anything jeep makes hahaha
I am pretty temped to keep ifs and even found a complete toy frame with ifs so that is an idea right now :ideas:

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:41 am Action Fab's ghetto XJ had a shaved/polished turdy-30.

If it's low weight I see zero issue using the XJ HP housing. I'd put the ZJ CV shafts in it too, they seem to hold up better than the regular shafts, even the 297X joint ones, and they're cheap. To have brakes and wheel bearings that aren't weird, get a 92ish+ housing (I'd have to check when the change happened), or just plan to swap the WJ outers on. Earlier stuff used strange collections of parts, which are mostly available, but more money and less likely to be in stock.
his build is pretty sweet and have gone through it a few times.

so that being said, whos got a hp30 laying in a junk pile ?

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

I threw out 3 or 4 of them... The only one I have left I might actually need. :lmao:

HillBilt
Actually Wheels
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by HillBilt »

Not to derail, but Action Fabs Ghetto XJ is probably my favorite build, when he puts a dead axle up front a drifts it, and drifts it well...next level awesome :smokin: :smokin:
Building Junk-Wheeling Junk-Breaking Junk

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

HillBilt wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:07 am Not to derail, but Action Fabs Ghetto XJ is probably my favorite build, when he puts a dead axle up front a drifts it, and drifts it well...next level awesome :smokin: :smokin:
that guy has built some pretty cool stuff and not the normal cookie cutter stuff. have been saving pictures of how he shaved his d30 :pimp:

Johnny5
Actually Wheels
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Johnny5 »

Snowracer wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:28 am
HillBilt wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:07 am Not to derail, but Action Fabs Ghetto XJ is probably my favorite build, when he puts a dead axle up front a drifts it, and drifts it well...next level awesome :smokin: :smokin:
that guy has built some pretty cool stuff and not the normal cookie cutter stuff. have been saving pictures of how he shaved his d30 :pimp:
How many pictures of this guy shaving his “d30” do you have creeper :poke:

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Johnny5 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:47 am
Snowracer wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:28 am
How many pictures of this guy shaving his “d30” do you have creeper :poke:

just a enough to make me feel :rainbow:

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:41 am Action Fab's ghetto XJ had a shaved/polished turdy-30.

so can you run the ZJ cv axles in a XJ diff? do you need to swap the outers ect? looks like im getting a 96+ XJ hp non cad axle for this build

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

I do believe it’s a straight bolt in deal. The diffs are the same just the zj had awd tcase and ujoints don’t play nice on dry pavement