warn axon-55s the new m6000?

Chassis, suspension, tires, etc
pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

warn axon-55s the new m6000?

Post by pointsnorth »

have been waiting for warn to realize their mistake at discontinueing the m6000. Now I see they have a 5500 in their utv line up maybe this is the replacement ?

specs
AXON 55-S comes with 50’ of lightweight, easy-to-handle ¼” Spydura synthetic rope, an Epic
hawse fairlead, and a black hook
Massive 5,500 lb. capacity for the biggest UTVs and biggest pulls
Revolutionary Motactor™ combines motor and contactor for easy installation, best performance
IP68 waterproofing keeps water and the elements out
Digital control offers never-beforeseen levels of reliability and user feedback, including providing load and temperature info
Satin black powder-coated finish and stainless steel fasteners for corrosion resistance
Durable all-metal construction and one-piece tie plate (vs. tie bars) for increased structural rigidity
New clutch design based on legendary WARN 4WD hub lock know-how
Load-holding brake for great control
Smooth and reliable all-metal three-stage planetary gear train
Rockerbar digital control switch and digital wired remote
Limited lifetime warranty (mechanical), 3 year warranty (electrical)

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 74 times
Been Liked: 61 times

Re: warn axon-55s the new m6000?

Post by Scoobienorth »

I’m still skeptical of all the utv winches but it looks to be the leader. I doubt it’s an m6000. Brian has an m6000 on the Mitsubishi Jeep and it has recovered some big rigs. Or bigger than it has any business being hooked to.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

true for the most part the old warn atv line up was garbage. back in the day when I did fleet management I would budget over ten grand just for atv winch repair which was most time replacing the entire winch assembly. It was more cost effective then trying to diag it and then replace in the field. And that was for a three month work season. Hell I'd have rookie formen strip the free spool switch in the yard doing orientation on brand new warn 2500s

these axon winches though, have peaked my interest. with utvs now coming stock with sizable tires and lifts, warn may be answering the call for a solid platform to get you out of trouble.

the intergrated electronics are a nice feature thats been a long time coming

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 144 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Honestly they should have just marketed the M6000 to the UTV crowd, possibly just with a cut down drum so it was smaller physically. Like you say those ATV/UTV Warns do not seem to be very good, and with how quickly UTVs ballooned into the fattest cows around they need the capacity.

This does look interesting though. Pretty neat form factor and packaging. Somebody needs to tear one down and see what the guts look like.
Attachments
warn-101150_axon_55-s_side.jpg
warn-101150_axon_55-s_side.jpg (58.04 KiB) Viewed 4992 times

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 74 times
Been Liked: 61 times

Post by Scoobienorth »

https://www.motoalliance.com/viper-elit ... black-rope

If I was going to consider a utv based winch I’d run this one. Substantially cheaper than the warn, full metal gears in the transmission, I’ve seen the 5k work really well and last as long as any of them. The 6k looks to be beefed up a bit more

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

Scoobienorth wrote:https://www.motoalliance.com/viper-elit ... black-rope

If I was going to consider a utv based winch I’d run this one. Substantially cheaper than the warn, full metal gears in the transmission, I’ve seen the 5k work really well and last as long as any of them. The 6k looks to be beefed up a bit more
The viper winch itself is a good winch . But everything else like the controller and solenoid packs are terrible. Up grading to warn solenoid packs and controllers helped but then your almost at the price of a warn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

It’s definitely a lot larger then most utv winches. The majority of pictures I find it’s not mounted in the usual place as it’s physically too big

Muckin_Slusher
Forum Newbie
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Muckin_Slusher »

pointsnorth wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:51 am Revolutionary Motactor™ combines motor and contactor for easy installation, best performance
What the fuck is that, and how is it better than separate motor and contactor. It sure don't sound easier to diagnose and fix as two separate units.

It also doesn't sound very easy to bypass. Old style winch you could just use booster cables to temporarily bypass a problem with control or solenoid pack.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Muckin_Slusher wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:04 pm
pointsnorth wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:51 am Revolutionary Motactor™ combines motor and contactor for easy installation, best performance
What the fuck is that, and how is it better than separate motor and contactor. It sure don't sound easier to diagnose and fix as two separate units.

It also doesn't sound very easy to bypass. Old style winch you could just use booster cables to temporarily bypass a problem with control or solenoid pack.
A guy really would have to take it apart and see... But you may be right, for the sake of packaging it could be a total bitch if it fries.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

that part does throw a red flag as it wont be a easy trail fix to get you back to camp or home

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

It may not be a big deal though. Unless everything is in there with potting compound and can't even be accessed.

Helidump
Forum Addict
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Helidump »

I couldnt find a parts breakdown of the motor assembly so it looks like when something inside it grenades then the only fix is buy a new motor. Im guessing it doesn’t use a contactor at all and is more like a big , brushless drill motor...which would mean there are electronics in there somewhere that don’t play nice with heat and water. Again the Warn parts drawings arent very in depth and I would imagine any big parts that fail would be worth almost as much as a new winch. Considering the market for these things is hanging off the front of a blinged out side by side, and the increasing trend of making disposable shit that cant be fixed, im not optimistic on it being able to be repaired easily or cheaply.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

I was watching a video on a South African built 2018 suzuki jimny overlanding rig and the bumper they are putting on it is built around a 4500-5500 Utv winch so now I’ll be watching how it performs

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

Cutler fab just installed one as a rear recovery on their new build. I will be watching how it performs

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »