Winches

Chassis, suspension, tires, etc
Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Re: Winches

Post by Snowracer »

pointsnorth wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:36 am im also interested in a smaller compact winch for my buggy. the 8274 is a beast but its going to take up so much room on my buggy. been trying to find anyone that has run the 8274 in a flat position with success
been told the m8000 is the cats ass when it comes to winches :flipoff:

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by pointsnorth »

Snowracer wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:08 am
pointsnorth wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:36 am im also interested in a smaller compact winch for my buggy. the 8274 is a beast but its going to take up so much room on my buggy. been trying to find anyone that has run the 8274 in a flat position with success
been told the m8000 is the cats ass when it comes to winches :flipoff:
it is :flipoff: its just too big and I dont want to fork out cash on a new one and then chop it up. with photobucket breaking the internet i cant find any info on alternative mounting for the 8274 either

HillBilt
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Post by HillBilt »

other than making an odd mount for the gear reduction side, the only issue I would see is oiling. Drill a new fill plug and fill it up on its side, might have to put a bit more oil in it. Just do it, be prett cool. :pimp:

OR, mount it behind the cab and guide the cable through tubing to the front. Its common in the rain forest challenge buggys, some even have them mounted right in the cab.
Building Junk-Wheeling Junk-Breaking Junk

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

just run a thin grease instead of oil and send it

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by pointsnorth »

narrowed flat mount 8274 :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

Mr.gutsy
Forum Addict
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Mr.gutsy »

Winch inside the cab would be sweet for when the 8274 solenoids fuck up you can easily unfuck them :flipoff:

Provience
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Provience »

yeah yeah, nobody like hydraulic winches except for me and people will rollbacks :rasta: I still want to post some of this information over here, because i think it is useful and especially so for people running high displacement pumps.

Hydraulic motors work on flow, more flow = more speed. pressure determines at what point it will stop working or break stuff. i.e. if your stock steering pump will make 1,500 psi before it bypasses internally and flows 2.0 gallon per minute, it will move any amount under ~7k lbs as that is about the pressure drop required to move the motor, and it will do it at about 4 feet per minute, because the flow is about 1/5 the flow used for the rating (it isn't exactly linear, but close enough). This is why people say "hydraulic winches will move a house, but take for ever to get there". They cannot move faster than the flow of the pump, and they will move at that speed until the resistance pressure overcomes the circuit limit. How much flow you can slam through these motors is limited by orifice size. Line speed does change based on wraps of rope on the drum, but the motor spins the same.

Runva winch 10k uses a 3.0 cu in (50 ml)/rev motor and claims a line speed of 20 ft/min at 10 gpm flow (40lpm)

ProWinch 11k uses a 4.9 cu in (80 ml)/rev motor and claims a line speed of 49 ft/min at 15 gpm flow (60lpm)

MileMarker 9k uses a 14 cu in (229 ml)/rev motor and claims a line speed of 10.5 ft/min at 3.5 gpm on low (loaded) and 57 ft/min on high (unloaded)

Warn 9k uses a 4.9 cu in (80 ml)/rev motor and claims a line speed of 20 ft/min at 10 gpm and 28.5 ft/min at 15 gpm

MileMarker 12k uses a 19.5 cu in (320 ml) /rev motor with 6:1 gear reduction and claims a line speed of 5.6 ft/min at 3.5 gpm on low (loaded) and 31 ft/min on high (unloaded <2k lbs)

Warn 12k uses a 5.0 cu in (82 ml)/rev motor with 36:1 gear reduction and claims a line speed of 15.2 ft/min at 10 gpm and 21.8 ft/min at 15 gpm

Ramsey 12k uses a 24 cu in (393 ml)/rev motor with 5.1:1 gear reduction and claims a line speed of 32 ft/min at 15 gpm

for reference, the new warn 8274-50 has a rated line speed of 80 ft/min (22m/m) unloaded, 23 FPM at 2000 lbs and 182 amps, 16 FPM at 4000 lbs and 286 amp, 12 FPM at 6000 lbs and 385 amp, 9 FPM at 8000 lbs and 480 amps....pretty dang quick.

this is a part of why i'm trying to get 8-10 gpm at idle and 13-15 gpm at partial throttle out of a high flow pump. currently working with https://radial-dynamics.com/ as he claims to be trying to design his own pump. if not, i'll go with an unrestricted "trophy truck" style pump, failing that, http://www.scottscustomoffroad.com/ makes the easy peasy gear pump swap stuff.
Up is difficult, down is dangerous

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

a hydro winch would be pretty pimp and i am running a big ass pump so would be doable for sure. im a fan of being able to use an electric winch when the truck is not running so only reason im not looking into a hydro winch as an option

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

my only 2 thoughts on that.

1) How long are you set up to run an electric winch at a couple hundred amps with the engine dead? yes, little bursts and low loads are not a problem.

2) Ultimate solution with the hydro winch, and the current plan, is to use some quality quick connect fittings and a hand pump. shitty? yes. Shittier than leaving a rig in a real bad spot? no. :laughing: but that is more of a trail rig, rather be tired than dead type situation.

it's a trade off for sure, i'm hopeful it isn't too big of an issue compared to the consistent speed, cooler running and less concern for the elements.

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

so been thinking of fixing up my old shitty warn winch i have and running it as a rear mount on the truck. issues is it needs some new solenoids as tried to kill me last time i used it, to get 4 new solenoids is about $120 of amazon or local. most new winches (including the new warns) come with a single sealed solenoid and can buy them for about $50-$70. so has anyone converted an old solenoid pack over to a new one? just mount the new single solenoid in the old winch control box and run it? or just keep it old school with the 4 solenoids and wires everywhere ?

new style im talking about

https://www.amazon.ca/Astra-Depot-Conta ... 6e7b0f409c

https://www.amazon.ca/Astra-Depot-Solen ... 6e7b0f409c

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

haven't done it, but i'm interested. please keep us updated. I've got a cheap smittybuilt XRC9 (?) that needs going through. same kind of plan to mount it in the rear

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Provience wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:27 pm haven't done it, but i'm interested. please keep us updated. I've got a cheap smittybuilt XRC9 (?) that needs going through. same kind of plan to mount it in the rear
on the fence if should fix the pos murdering warn winch or just buy a shittybuilt as the gen2s are super cheap now. its not much more money for a new shittybuilt 9.5 as it is for me to buy the solenoids and 100 feet of cable for that pos warn

Helidump
Forum Addict
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Helidump »

Snowracer wrote:so been thinking of fixing up my old shitty warn winch i have and running it as a rear mount on the truck. issues is it needs some new solenoids as tried to kill me last time i used it, to get 4 new solenoids is about $120 of amazon or local. most new winches (including the new warns) come with a single sealed solenoid and can buy them for about $50-$70. so has anyone converted an old solenoid pack over to a new one? just mount the new single solenoid in the old winch control box and run it? or just keep it old school with the 4 solenoids and wires everywhere ?

new style im talking about

https://www.amazon.ca/Astra-Depot-Conta ... 6e7b0f409c

https://www.amazon.ca/Astra-Depot-Solen ... 6e7b0f409c
it simplifies the wiring a lot and is very easy to do. I used the Runva contactor for my 8274 https://www.amazon.ca/Solenoid-500Amps- ... B0106NR6DO

i used the original mounting plate for the 4 relay setup and i might have had to drill one hole. Had to do some grinding where the wires go through. I cant tell you if the runva contactor is any good in the rea world as I havent had a chance to use it yet but its pretty much identical to all the other ones and it looks pretty solid. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.gutsy
Forum Addict
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Mr.gutsy »

Nice thats exactly what i plan on doing

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

I need to do that, along with new wire, for my 8274.

There was considerable amounts of smoke coming from it the last time I used it. :lmao: