Chassis, suspension, tires, etc
Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Re: Winches

Post by Snowracer »

think i might have just found what im after

Bulldog Wiches makes a comp winch that has a 6.8hp motor and 138-1 ratio.
55 feet/min at 0lbs
11.2 feet/min at 8,000lbs

and is just over the budget by $90 haha
does have the smaller drum but says still holds 75 feet of rope, not very often ive had the full 90 feet out on my M15
Last edited by Snowracer on Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Post by Scoobienorth »

Snowracer wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:22 pm think i might have just found what im after

55 feet/min at 0lbs

does have the smaller drum but says still holds 75 feet of rope, not very often ive had the full 90 fee out on my M15
That sounds about right. Pack a 50’ tag line. Not often I’ve needed to winch more than 100’ and it was 350 foot winching when I broke an axle. Usually it’s a few foot pull to get out. As long as you have the gear to reach the anchor point

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Scoobienorth wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:27 pm
Snowracer wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:22 pm think i might have just found what im after

55 feet/min at 0lbs

does have the smaller drum but says still holds 75 feet of rope, not very often ive had the full 90 fee out on my M15
That sounds about right. Pack a 50’ tag line. Not often I’ve needed to winch more than 100’ and it was 350 foot winching when I broke an axle. Usually it’s a few foot pull to get out. As long as you have the gear to reach the anchor point
idea with getting a new faster winch is for racing ect. will take one of my old slow ass winches and put it on the back so will be able to run 100 feet out the back and pull my ass out and run away from what ever i got stuck in :lmao:

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Your budget limits it. A Warn Zeon 10 is about $1500 on Amazon.ca, so probably find it for less (is Ford a Warn dealer????), but the 10-S is $1800... I'm assuming you want synthetic because only the trail rigs or really poor people run steel now.

My 8274 comparison was only because I fully believe that the other winch manufacturers lie about their speeds. :flipoff:

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:49 pm Your budget limits it. A Warn Zeon 10 is about $1500 on Amazon.ca, so probably find it for less (is Ford a Warn dealer????), but the 10-S is $1800... I'm assuming you want synthetic because only the trail rigs or really poor people run steel now.

My 8274 comparison was only because I fully believe that the other winch manufacturers lie about their speeds. :flipoff:
looking at the warn winches on paper there is no real difference on speeds or ratings between the VR (cheapest) and the Zeon or Zeon premiums as same motor and gearing. its just going to be fit and finish and warranty ect. and yes i can get the Warns for less then that through work :pimp:

im with you on the speeds not sounding right as on paper the shitybuilts look fast but have used them and meh speed wise

oh and im very much a poor person and want steel cable. buddy tried some rope on his 9.5 and it fucked up just trying to pull a tree out of my garden the first time he used it :lmao: so ill stick with my old school killer cable

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Snowracer wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:55 pm
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:49 pm Your budget limits it. A Warn Zeon 10 is about $1500 on Amazon.ca, so probably find it for less (is Ford a Warn dealer????), but the 10-S is $1800... I'm assuming you want synthetic because only the trail rigs or really poor people run steel now.

looking at the warn winches on paper there is no real difference on speeds or ratings between the VR (cheapest) and the Zeon or Zeon premiums as same motor and gearing. its just going to be fit and finish and warranty ect. and yes i can get the Warns for less then that through work :pimp:

im with you on the speeds not sounding right as on paper the shitybuilts look fast but have used them and meh speed wise

oh and im very much a poor person and want steel cable. buddy tried some rope on his 9.5 and it fucked up just trying to pull a tree out of my garden the first time he used it :lmao: so ill stick with my old school killer cable
Oddly the VR EVO runs a different planetary and probably different motor. I'm guessing they're intended to be the real budget line now? Lots slower, but cheap, under $800 on Amazon for the 10000lb with steel cable.

Get a VR 10 then? $890 on Amazon, means you're probably looking at $600. :poke:

Pulling a tree out sounds like trail rig type shit though, not competition use. :laughing: But I'm with you on synthetic sucking for most use, there's a reason I run steel cable and synthetic extensions. Since the extension hardly ever gets used, and you're not actually sucking it into the winch (hopefully) and the fairlead and crap on it often do a bunch of the damage, the synthetic extension doesn't get tore up anywhere near as fast, but they're nicer to pack and handle.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

BIGHOSS
Forum Newbie

Post by BIGHOSS »

Does anyone know the duty cycles for the VR vs M series?

I got a m8000 thats been through some tough stuff and never stops running.

I ran my m8000 for hours trying to winch up a hill last year in the snow that I shouldn't of went down in the first place :pimp:
I'm lucky that winch kept working or that would of been a LONG walk out.

The prices on winches has skyrocketed compared to about 5 years ago when I bought mine.

Shittybuilt 9.5 is only 470$ on amazon right now.

Mr.gutsy
Forum Addict
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Mr.gutsy »

pointsnorth wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:07 pm If that’s the case isn’t there a 6.0 hp upgrade for the 8274 that should fit any of the other warn winches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that the warn 9.5xp motor? Its a pricey motor but thats what I plan to run as I already have 2 or 3 8274s

HillBilt
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by HillBilt »

Late to the party here, Im not sure on cost on them today, but I run a warn 9.5Ti and its a great in between for speed. Its quite a bit faster than that other winches listed but not 8274 speeds. Talk to Brad, hes seen it in action, its respectably fast.
Building Junk-Wheeling Junk-Breaking Junk

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

HillBilt wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:51 am Late to the party here, Im not sure on cost on them today, but I run a warn 9.5Ti and its a great in between for speed. Its quite a bit faster than that other winches listed but not 8274 speeds. Talk to Brad, hes seen it in action, its respectably fast.
looking at that winch (now the 9.5cti) its pretty fast as has 156-1 ratio so would be 47 feet/min at 0lbs and 5.9 feet/min at 9500lbs. but quite a bit over what im looking to spend, might have to start saving my pennies

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

so im still on this whole winch thing :headbang:

leaning really hard towards the Bulldog comp winch. biggest thing against it was the fact that it only came with 75 feet of rope on it. but after going back and looking at all the new Warns (VR Evo, Zeon, Zeon Platinum) they dont eve come with 100feet on them anymore. Most of them are 80-90 feet, have to get into the older style winches to get 100 feet of cable. my old M15 only has 90 feet as well and not very often im running that much cable out. Looking at more specs the bulldog winch also pulls less amps at all weights then the warn ones do as well so thats kinda nice as less load on the electrical system

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Just pack a tag line. Winching or respooling 100 feet sucks anyways. How often do you winch more than 60 feet.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Johnny5
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Johnny5 »

Or just don’t get stuck then ya won’t have to pull ur junk out lol my winch has more time on it pulling jeeps up baldy than anything else