Chassis, suspension, tires, etc
Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Winches

Post by Snowracer »

Been thinking about getting a new winch for my next build coming up

Have been running my Warn 15 for years and its a beast of a winch but really big and slow. Have run the shitybuilt 9.5s as well and work great but kinda slow and pretty much a two man job to free spool. So looking at input on a new winch that will be in the 9500-12000 pound range and fairly quick, willing to spend around the $1000.

oh and before anyone says it no i will not do an old upright warn, yes they are fast but will not fit the build :flipoff:

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Re: Winches

Post by Snowracer »

few that ive been looking at and some line speed specs ect that i have found

Warn VR EVO

10,000 pound
27.1 feet/min at 0lbs
6.5 feet/min at 8,000lbs
5.2 feet/min at 10,000lbs

Warn Zeon 10

10,000 pound
33 feet/min at 0lbs
6.5 feet/min at 8,000lbs
4.8 feet/min at 10,000lbs

Smitybuilt 9.5 XCR

9,500 pound
32.4 feet/min at 0lbs
9.35 feet/mins at 8,000lbs
6.2 feet/min at 9,500lbs

Runva 11xp

11,000 pound
22.3 feet/min at 0lbs
9.8 feet/min at 8,000lbs
5.8 feet/min at 11,000lbs
Last edited by Snowracer on Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Post by Scoobienorth »

I’m curious on the new gen 3 smittybuilt. Having seeing Steve’s gen 2 x20 smittybuilt 10k I wouldn’t buy another. But the 3rd gen looks better and with more power

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

But I think you should get an ifs Toyota dif and build a pto god winch like they use in the rain forest challenge.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by pointsnorth »

are you really needing it that big or could you go slightly smaller winch and carry the gear to double it back on your self for when You do end up buried in muskeg. as far as snowwheeling or comps its usually not like five feet of mud sucking you down. I was just looking at a warn m8000 in their low profile setup with upgraded contactor pack for under a 1000

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

The m8000 is awesome with decent line speed but I’ve powered mine out once and really struggled a bunch of times. It’s a little on the small side I think. But it’s better than the gen 2 smittybuilt 10k

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Scoobienorth wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:39 pm I’m curious on the new gen 3 smittybuilt. Having seeing Steve’s gen 2 x20 smittybuilt 10k I wouldn’t buy another. But the 3rd gen looks better and with more power
just got some info on the Gen3 and pretty much ment for jeeps as can take the covers off and paint and was told by my supplier that they are not getting good reviews
Scoobienorth wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:43 pm But I think you should get an ifs Toyota dif and build a pto god winch like they use in the rain forest challenge.
if i cant fit an upright no way that will fit
pointsnorth wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:24 pm are you really needing it that big or could you go slightly smaller winch and carry the gear to double it back on your self for when You do end up buried in muskeg. as far as snowwheeling or comps its usually not like five feet of mud sucking you down. I was just looking at a warn m8000 in their low profile setup with upgraded contactor pack for under a 1000
the m8 would be too small in my eyes.

just for some tech the m8 is rated at
42 feet/min at 0lbs
8 feet/min at 8,000 pounds

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

went back and edited the first post, added rating at 8,000 pounds as probably the most accurate weight for a 5500lbs rig stuck ect.

kinda interesting that the shitybuild and runva are rated faster at that weight then the warns

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Snowracer wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:56 pm went back and edited the first post, added rating at 8,000 pounds as probably the most accurate weight for a 5500lbs rig stuck ect.

kinda interesting that the shitybuild and runva are rated faster at that weight then the warns
The gen 2 smittybuilt is half line speed of what my m8000 is and seat of the pants field testing says it doesn’t pull any more

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Snowracer wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:56 pm kinda interesting that the shitybuild and runva are rated faster at that weight then the warns
Sure they are, but it's not like any actual independent agency is testing them. Warn's numbers are good versus their own other products and probably real world accurate, I would not trust anyone else's numbers.

The 8274 on my trailer absolutely kicks the shit out of my Schhhhhmittybuilt 9500, to the point that even dragging stuff that's completely seized onto it is often faster than comfortable. Pretty certain an old assed 8274 with half dicked and undersized electrical cables, wing nuts holding the wrong sized lugs to the battery, and a motor that looks like it went down with the Titanic isn't really rated to be faster than the XRC 9500. :laughing:

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

yeah i think the shittybilt pad their specs and warn underrates theirs.

i would rate my shittybilt as a hair above a cambodian tire special. the remotes are garbage its given me issues since day one but has always got me out every time. the cable is super sketchy as well makes horrible sounds while winching.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

now i know you said no too a upright winch but I also recall your current winch is not mounted correctly some would say. but i ran my winch mount the same way and pulled crew cab bbc trucks no problem. what if you laided the warn 8274 down the same way?

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:09 pm
Snowracer wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:56 pm kinda interesting that the shitybuild and runva are rated faster at that weight then the warns
Sure they are, but it's not like any actual independent agency is testing them. Warn's numbers are good versus their own other products and probably real world accurate, I would not trust anyone else's numbers.

The 8274 on my trailer absolutely kicks the shit out of my Schhhhhmittybuilt 9500, to the point that even dragging stuff that's completely seized onto it is often faster than comfortable. Pretty certain an old assed 8274 with half dicked and undersized electrical cables, wing nuts holding the wrong sized lugs to the battery, and a motor that looks like it went down with the Titanic isn't really rated to be faster than the XRC 9500. :laughing:
yes the 8274 is a kick ass winch but just wont work for what im after so dont really need to bring it into this :poke:
pointsnorth wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:12 pm yeah i think the shittybilt pad their specs and warn underrates theirs.

i would rate my shittybilt as a hair above a cambodian tire special. the remotes are garbage its given me issues since day one but has always got me out every time. the cable is super sketchy as well makes horrible sounds while winching.
i have had a few shittybuilt and zero issues with them other then slow and free spooling is pointless.

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

pointsnorth wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:15 pm now i know you said no too a upright winch but I also recall your current winch is not mounted correctly some would say. but i ran my winch mount the same way and pulled crew cab bbc trucks no problem. what if you laided the warn 8274 down the same way?
my 15 is supposed to be mounted feet forward, i have it feet down but i also has 2 more bolts that are forward so has 6 total holding it in.

reason im looking at a smaller lay down and not the 8274 is for upcoming buggy and want the winch under the rad and low profile. the 8274 is just not what im after at all so we can stop beating that dead horse :flipoff:

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »