Lunchbox locker tech

Chassis, suspension, tires, etc
Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 67 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Lunchbox locker tech

Post by Scoobienorth »

There seems to be a few changes in this area. Anyone got any info on some of these? I’m looking at options for my tj d30 but I suspect some of the cross over to most rigs in here.1: On the jungle site I seen a cheap Chinese looking like a spartan knock off 2: regular spartan lockers, 3: powertrax no slip which is a lunchbox that steers better, from my limited understanding it’s got more parts on the wheel side so that when not under torque and the one wheel speeds up cornering it disconnects that wheel so it’s smoother and somewhat open differential and handles a bit better. The trade off is that it’s possible offroad for the locker to not engage back in and leave an open differential for a moment or until you square everything back up. 4: the torq locker. Has less parts in it and send a fair bit stronger, although I broke my carrier beside the locker in my standard lokka setup anyways, but less setup with it, which is what I think I screwed up after replacing my carrier and that ate the locker the second time around. Both 3&4 are more expensive than a standard spartan but seem to be drawing me in, as they do have newer tech sc designs. Curious if anyone has opinions or thoughts on these? I really don’t want to spend a ton of money on a low pinion d30 but I do highway drive this to get places

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Re: Lunchbox locker tech

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

I didn't realize anything had changed in the lunchbox locker world. I'll have to look into that.

Edit, Powertrax's website isn't super helpful, but it does show it is a different design. The D30 front P/N is 9204302700 I believe. Doesn't look like any of the reputable dealers have stock, but there is some on eBay. I don't know if it's worth it over an Aussie (or Lokka clone, assuming they still sell those). I didn't have any real problems with my Lokka in my MJ.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

I guess my question is, if a Lokka is just a clone of an Aussie, is an Aussie just a clone of a Lock-rite? I know people said that the Aussie was different, but the exploded diagram says otherwise, so other than minor dimensional changes or different materials, it would be the same.

The Lock-right is cheaper than the Lokka, which I guess is believable since they're both made in China.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

The genuine Aussie locker, P/N XD-13027, is $260 USD. It's cheaper than the Lokka. Allegedly made in the land of bald eagles.

I know that wasn't really your original question, but I think I might go that route.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Well that did answer part of the question. I’m kinda drawn to the newer stuff both the powertrax no slip especially and the torq but I’m not sure it’s worth the cash. And I’m not brave enough for the cheap Chinese one I found.

Joe_the_ice_man
Forum Addict
Has Liked: 41 times
Been Liked: 27 times

Post by Joe_the_ice_man »

If I understand correctly the powertrax no slip sounds much like the Eaton no spin I found in my Topkick. I've yet to really drive or play with it, but on pavement it feels like its an open diff. I think the premise is that any wheel is allowed to spin faster than the pinion, but not slower. So my understanding is that it would unlock under that scenario and be locked in it's neutral state. Topkick does not seem to be locked under power going around corners, just when its climbing slightly slick hills.
'89 Sami 2.3,03-72LE - The Corona Wagon [url]https://forum.4x4north.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=216[/url]

'87 Sami, stockish drivetrain with CJ5 springs - Another unfinished Sami - find it yourself :razz:

'53 Willys CJ3b Buick 225,sm465,Dana 18,Dana 44s

arse_sidewards
Forum Addict
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 17 times

Post by arse_sidewards »

Joe_the_ice_man wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:02 pm If I understand correctly the powertrax no slip sounds much like the Eaton no spin I found in my Topkick. I've yet to really drive or play with it, but on pavement it feels like its an open diff. I think the premise is that any wheel is allowed to spin faster than the pinion, but not slower. So my understanding is that it would unlock under that scenario and be locked in it's neutral state. Topkick does not seem to be locked under power going around corners, just when its climbing slightly slick hills.
That's theoretically how all lunchbox and Detroit "splined pucks that get forced against each other by the cross pin" works but the exact details of how the parts are made seem to affect manners a lot.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by pointsnorth »

I know my powertrax in my d30 will make a lot of noise on road with a difference in air pressure of like 3 psi. so I was always checking tire pressure at least once a week with these chinese beadlocks

Joe_the_ice_man
Forum Addict
Has Liked: 41 times
Been Liked: 27 times

Post by Joe_the_ice_man »

arse_sidewards wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:13 am That's theoretically how all lunchbox and Detroit "splined pucks that get forced against each other by the cross pin" works but the exact details of how the parts are made seem to affect manners a lot.
I didn't look close enough at the blow up of the powertrax, I think you're right on that one. So it's always locked under power.

The Eaton I was referring to appears to not use the cross pins to force out the pucks. It has a solid puck in the middle, and springs that force the spiders into it. There are cam mechanisms on the spider that allow either wheel to spin faster than the carrier, but neither can spin slower.

Unfortunately I think it's only available for 5 tons and up.
'89 Sami 2.3,03-72LE - The Corona Wagon [url]https://forum.4x4north.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=216[/url]

'87 Sami, stockish drivetrain with CJ5 springs - Another unfinished Sami - find it yourself :razz:

'53 Willys CJ3b Buick 225,sm465,Dana 18,Dana 44s

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Screenshot 2024-03-01 072843.png
Should I order one for science? :lmao:

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:29 am Screenshot 2024-03-01 072843.png

That’s the one I was looking at. I’d rather you buy one first. It’s half price of everything else. I’m really contemplating either going really cheap with this one or going with the torq or powertrax no slip both the expensive ones.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Scoobienorth wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:41 am
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:29 am Screenshot 2024-03-01 072843.png

That’s the one I was looking at. I’d rather you buy one first. It’s half price of everything else. I’m really contemplating either going really cheap with this one or going with the torq or powertrax no slip both the expensive ones.
I ordered a Spartan instead. $445 cad, next day Prime. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007N3 ... UTF8&psc=1

The Aussie was a little cheaper, $415~ CAD shipped to my door. But it doesn't come with the cross pin, and I'm going to put this in a bare carrier (I could salvage a cross pin but yeah). And it's being shipped internationally and who knows if it really is in stock, etc.

Lokka isn't in stock, 4-6 week lead time as per them. I couldn't find the Lock Right for any better deal then the Aussie, so it would be as much as the Spartan and not next day through Amazon.

I've run a Spartan and know it's fine, so I decided not the gamble. If the Amazon generic special was $150, or maybe $200, I definitely would have tried it...

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

I should almost order the Amazon special and put it in the TJ right now... Since it will take me a while to get the new axles built and receive all the other parts I need.

BEEFY
Forum Newbie
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by BEEFY »

I have a spartan in the front dana 44 of the xterra and it held up to a week of beating on 37"s at KOH a few weeks ago