Trailer upgrades/tips/tricks

Gear, Equipment, Towing, Trailers, etc - Basically anything that's not actually the 4x4 but is necessary to go 4x4ing
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Trailer upgrades/tips/tricks

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

What have you done to your trailer to make it work better, be more convenient, or just general upgrades?

Post up what you've done, as there's often good ideas that only some trailers have, or that are specific to whatever use.

:cheers:

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Re: Trailer upgrades/tips/tricks

I needed to put a receiver on my "new" trailer for a winch, so I can load/unload whatever dead junk I have around.

Welded this riser up first made out of 6x2x.188 HSS and a PA weld on receiver:
20220826_105108.jpg
Then I welded it to the tongue like this:
20220826_110451.jpg
20220826_110442.jpg
This way it's high enough the cable goes over the tire stopper/headache rack/whatever it's called at the front of the trailer. Unlike my last one this way the winch is farther forward so you can pull a vehicle all the way on with it. I also made sure it would be somewhere that I could still open the tailgate when the trailer is hooked to my truck. Only downside is the jack handle gets close to it. I may move the jack, and it's pretty beat so a new one might be in order anyway.

Here's the one I did on the other trailer:
DSC_0454.JPG
It also needed an adapter piece, there was some justification for doing it that way, I think I was going to make a spare tire mount that would fit in it or something. I don't remember. :homer:

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Another thing I'm a fan of is these document tubes for the registration/insurance.
20220829_193245.jpg
If you have multiple trucks and trailers, it's handy to know the docs are just with the trailer, no searching for them or forgetting them.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Work just bought a new trailer and I was checking out how they retain the ramps in it. It's pretty nifty, the big pin has to be pulled out to release them, and to do that you have to take the little lynch pin out first. BUT, it's designed so even if you lose the lynch pin that the big pin can't easily work its way out as it has to be turned the right way to go through the slot in the bracket beside it.
20220830_102414.jpg

Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Post by Snowracer »

like that ramp holder rod deal :ideas: