Trail GPS

Gear, Equipment, Towing, Trailers, etc - Basically anything that's not actually the 4x4 but is necessary to go 4x4ing
Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Trail GPS

Post by Snowracer »

so whats the go to for GPS for trail riding ?

have always used google maps when i have phone reception or predownloaded maps on my tablet as that works offline but not the best as the apps kinda suck. also have the back road map books and they have saved my ass a few times.

so whats a good offline gps system that will show trails ect or can be loaded before leaving the house and is not crazy priced like the ultra 4 systems

:popcorn:

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Re: Trail GPS

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

I was using Oruxmaps (sp?) on an old phone with the BRMB loaded into the database. It worked okay, and was really cheap.

Definitely would be interested in a better solution myself.

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

i really like the tablet with preloaded maps but need to find a better app for sure

was using it this summer camping and i took a wrong turn but the map was so bad it wouldnt even show the road i was on or supposed to be on. was lucky and the map booked showed it as was able to figure out where the hell i was. so want something to keep that from happening again and also to help find some new wheeling trails

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Totally. If there's an app that's easy to use, and allows you to quickly toggle multiple database layers, I'd love to hear it.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Post by Scoobienorth »

I run Avenza maps on my phone and really like it, not sure about layers and stuff but with the backroad Mapbook maps it’s pretty good.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by pointsnorth »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote:Totally. If there's an app that's easy to use, and allows you to quickly toggle multiple database layers, I'd love to hear it.
X2 on that.

I used the BRMB down loaded on my phone and tablet for my Buffalo hunt last winter and all the time downloading maps only to find the app very frustrating to use offline/In the field

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Trail GPS

Post by pointsnorth »

Onx maps is probably the best paid app you can get

I was recommended hunt buddy by several of my customers who are avid hunters it looks good but I have yet to use it in a offline situation. What I do like it tells you what area your in as it pertains to hunting regs and will warn you if your crossing the into another zone
Of course again you have to pay for the best version

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

pointsnorth wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:14 am
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote:Totally. If there's an app that's easy to use, and allows you to quickly toggle multiple database layers, I'd love to hear it.
X2 on that.

I used the BRMB down loaded on my phone and tablet for my Buffalo hunt last winter and all the time downloading maps only to find the app very frustrating to use offline/In the field

What makes it so hard to use offline? On Avenza it runs the same online vs offline

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

super slow navigation through different pages and the gps tracking was superslow to update for me.

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

so have looked into this a bit more as the Back Roads Maps sell a memory card for gps maps and are meant for Garmin systems. after looking at the cost of the Garmin stuff the Lawrance fish finder gps systems are not that badly priced :lmao:

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

The Garmin files are pretty generic so they can be loaded into most other GPS systems. Well, maybe. But it was just an old copy of the BRMB for Garmin that I was using.

Look at Garmin's aviation lineup if you want to puke at prices. :lmao:

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Bumping this again. One of my coworkers gave me his old tablet for basically nothing.

Oruxmaps is like $5, and I think I still have the files to install it for free. I could throw my copy of the BRMB on it. It might be easier to use on a tablet than it was on a phone.

Gaia is the most recommended one but it's $70/year or something. It probably has a lot of value in the US, as it gets constant map updates that included off road trails/OHV areas/fire roads/etc, but I doubt it actually gets any of this for Canada. I downloaded the free version to try it out and it seems easy to use, but the free version is useless (no offline use).

I'll have to look into Avenza and Onx.

Any other ones?

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

I’m not sure what to suggest but I’m having issues finding maps of the north country of bc.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Scoobienorth wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:20 am I’m not sure what to suggest but I’m having issues finding maps of the north country of bc.
I take it the Back Road Map Book isn't enough? They don't have the same resolution in the entire northern half of the province in the versions I have. I can't find my old card so I think I'm going to spend the money for a new one, maybe they've improved it?

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:28 pm
Scoobienorth wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:20 am I’m not sure what to suggest but I’m having issues finding maps of the north country of bc.
I take it the Back Road Map Book isn't enough? They don't have the same resolution in the entire northern half of the province in the versions I have. I can't find my old card so I think I'm going to spend the money for a new one, maybe they've improved it?

I didn’t like the hundreds of tiny maps mostly. In the okanagan they had 2 maps that covered from well north and east of revelstoke to south of penticton and well past kamloops. I might have to deal with it though as it seems like the only option