Smittybuilt 2781 air compressor mods

Gear, Equipment, Towing, Trailers, etc - Basically anything that's not actually the 4x4 but is necessary to go 4x4ing
Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Smittybuilt 2781 air compressor mods

Post by Scoobienorth »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK2IEGrDumK ... 7vwzhz5swb

A really quick overview of my smittybilt air compressor. They come with a bunch of dumb proprietary fittings and neck downs that repeatedly freeze and slow things down. Originally we went straight through with 5/16 trans cooler line into an open tire Chuck so you can’t dead head the compressor. Today I decided to save some rigging and added a second fitting so I can air up 2 tires at a time.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Re: Smittybuilt 2781 air compressor mods

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Nice upgrade.

And I absolutely hate it when companies use weird or proprietary fittings for things.

Helidump
Forum Addict
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Helidump »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote:Nice upgrade.

And I absolutely hate it when companies use weird or proprietary fittings for things.
if youre dumb enough to buy an ARB compressor like I did they just give you a handful of weird fittings with not quite NPT threads and some cheap blue air line that isnt made for cold weather. I discovered the fittings were oddball after trying to plumb in an air gauge from the manifold on the compressor and not being able to thread an npt fitting in more thab 2 threads. At least thats what mine came with but I bought it 10 years ago before there were so many options for air compressors and ARB wasnt as expensive as it is now. I ended up buying some semi truck air brake line and fittings as a backup that was half the price and looks to be a lot more sturdy. If I had known about the Smittybuilt compressor at the time I would have bought it instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Post by Scoobienorth »

We’ve used the smittybuilt compressor’s a lot and often wind up filling others tires after ours and they’ve been really solid units. The smaller 1/16 orifice’s thought the system is dumb, bumping the air line up is dumb way and well worth the cost. 5/16 hose fits right on the compressor fitting from smittybuilt