Garmin InReach or Spot?

Gear, Equipment, Towing, Trailers, etc - Basically anything that's not actually the 4x4 but is necessary to go 4x4ing
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Garmin InReach or Spot?

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Who has what for a satellite communications device? How do you like it?

We were using the InReach at a previous employer, and they seemed to work well and were easy (Bluetooth to your phone and send messages to avoid the most hassle) but I don't remember what model it was... and that was a few years ago, so things may have changed.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Re: Garmin InReach or Spot?

Post by Scoobienorth »

I used spot a few years back when up north in the oilfield. We’d have to check in every 2 hours and leave the tracking on so if we didn’t check in they could find us. It worked ok. Seemed like the check in didn’t work super reliable but I think they were pretty old units. No text or anything. Just a check in button, an assistance needed button and emergency right now help button.

Johnny5
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Johnny5 »

The inreach is ok (the ones we used at brandt anyway) only problem was it was half the time service and half the time not, in like 30 min intervals

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Johnny5 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:44 pm The inreach is ok (the ones we used at brandt anyway) only problem was it was half the time service and half the time not, in like 30 min intervals
Most satellite services suck this far north. Geostationary satellites are pretty low in the horizon for us. Not sure if that's the issue in this case or if Spot is any better?

Joe_the_ice_man
Forum Addict
Has Liked: 41 times
Been Liked: 27 times

Post by Joe_the_ice_man »

Had a spot when I was working for the BC Gov in Chetwynd/Dawson area, just had it set to track whenever I was on shift. I think you can set it for different check in and track stuff on the website. Gen 3 (I think?) Spot seemed super reliable and the battery life was incredible, changed them every 3-4 months of having it on all the time I was on shift.

The Fort Nelson guys got to experiment with in reach, but I never heard the results of the testing. From what I gather they were almost as reliable, but we already had sat phones and were patched into the mounties radio network, so it was mostly a "cost versus value" test.
'89 Sami 2.3,03-72LE - The Corona Wagon [url]https://forum.4x4north.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=216[/url]

'87 Sami, stockish drivetrain with CJ5 springs - Another unfinished Sami - find it yourself :razz:

'53 Willys CJ3b Buick 225,sm465,Dana 18,Dana 44s