Towing with a Class C

Gear, Equipment, Towing, Trailers, etc - Basically anything that's not actually the 4x4 but is necessary to go 4x4ing
pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Re: Towing with a Class C

Post by pointsnorth »

ok here in bc with the addition of a rear frame extension every foot drops your allowable towing capacity. its measured from rear centerline to the hitch ball then they remove a 1000 pds towing capacity.

Ran into that refitting crummies for a treeplanting company. basically a personnel transport based off a f550 cab and chassis, with a box on the back to carry 20 plus dirty hippies to the block everyday. due too a company policy change, they couldnt have any of their planting gear in the passenger compartment so management had us build a frame extension and a box placed on the back. with of course a hitch built into the bumper to pull the formens trailer which holds trees, quads,etc. When they went for their safety inspection we were told that due to the extension of the frame they could only tow like 1000 pounds. which was really funny for me cause the first thing I had questioned management about the plan to build these extensions was will this affect towing capacity

Provience
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Provience »

oh wow, that is hilarious. yeah, shit you'd think a F550 wouldn't really give two shits about all that extra stuff. seems like such an arbitrary rule.

small side note, this this has some really dope alcoa wheels on it, but holy cow are they set hard in place with corrosion to the hub! ended up using a small scissor jack with some straps on the hub plus a 6' dig bar to get one of them to pop off. new ball joints (took a torch), trailing arm bushings, sway bar bushing (took a chisel) and wheel bearings (had to destroy the dust cap) made a huge difference in the ride quality though :smokin: just need to do the other side now....in a few weeks :lmao:

after driving around a little bit today just to get gas, yup, 4.56 gears are going to be the winner. east coast gear supply has gears for $275 with a mini install kit for $65 or a master install kit for $200. way cheaper than speed parts for the motor :laughing:
Up is difficult, down is dangerous

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

pointsnorth wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:49 am ok here in bc with the addition of a rear frame extension every foot drops your allowable towing capacity. its measured from rear centerline to the hitch ball then they remove a 1000 pds towing capacity.

Ran into that refitting crummies for a treeplanting company. basically a personnel transport based off a f550 cab and chassis, with a box on the back to carry 20 plus dirty hippies to the block everyday. due too a company policy change, they couldnt have any of their planting gear in the passenger compartment so management had us build a frame extension and a box placed on the back. with of course a hitch built into the bumper to pull the formens trailer which holds trees, quads,etc. When they went for their safety inspection we were told that due to the extension of the frame they could only tow like 1000 pounds. which was really funny for me cause the first thing I had questioned management about the plan to build these extensions was will this affect towing capacity
I guess they should have gone about it the other way. Add a big box that's high mounted, leave the hitch where it is, then massively extend the tongue on the trailer. It would be the way worse way of doing it, but it should be legal. :lmao: