Winch cut off switch

Gear, Equipment, Towing, Trailers, etc - Basically anything that's not actually the 4x4 but is necessary to go 4x4ing
Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 67 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Winch cut off switch

Post by Scoobienorth »

Has a buddy just burn up his 8274 due to the controller or solenoid sticking on. Had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. Just wondering what are guys using for switch and where are you playing it? I was thinking something like a semi truck night switch by the battery?

Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 82 times

Re: Winch cut off switch

Post by Snowracer »

as long as you can get one with high enough amp rating no reason not to put one in

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

https://a.co/d/9OH1EsD

At 500 amps this one on Amazon should leave enough room to be reasonably reliable with my little m8 with

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

the M8 is rated at 435 amp draw at 8000 pounds so that should work for you

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Pico sells one: https://picocanada.com/view_product/9456-34

I don't know the price, but Lordco carries their stuff. There is a couple other styles too. I trust their stuff a little more than random Chicom Amazon specials.

I hadn't really considered a the ramifications of a contactor sticking in this case.

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:17 pm I hadn't really considered a the ramifications of a contactor sticking in this case.
had the rear winch stick on one time and while fighting to get the battery cable pulled i slipped and smashed the rear tube work on my truck. bruised my ribs and that shit hurt for weeks :rolleyes:

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Snowracer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:39 pm
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:17 pm I hadn't really considered a the ramifications of a contactor sticking in this case.
had the rear winch stick on one time and while fighting to get the battery cable pulled i slipped and smashed the rear tube work on my truck. bruised my ribs and that shit hurt for weeks :rolleyes:
I could see that also turning into a nasty burn when you're trying to get a glowing hot wire off the battery.

Another (cheap, and not as good) option would be to just put a knob style battery disconnect on it somewhere on the ground from the winch, and where it's easy to get to, probably right on the winch motor. One of these:
Screenshot 2024-03-13 154530.png
Not including the link because you can get them cheaper than that anyway, just was the first one that popped up.

I'm assuming that would work and it wouldn't just ground through the attaching bolts. Hmm. Not sure.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

That’s not a terrible idea as well. Probably more reliable than a switch. I don’t think I could mount it to the winch ground side as it’s under the motor and I built everything tight enough I can barely get the wire on it. Whatever I do I’ll either need to make a short jumper line or make a short neg line extension