Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Re: Another Jeep.

Post by Scoobienorth »

IMG_7329.jpeg
IMG_7327.jpeg
IMG_7328.jpeg
Couple better pics of the winch mount, got the 1.25” body lift installed today, tomorrow I need to go back and do the motor mount lift , and locktite/torque the body bolts. I also found my low pressure side of my power steering leaking so I fixed that, wired the winch up. Tomorrow I need to also tie up the wiring for the winch and spool the cable on. Then it’s ready for tires. It still needs some maintenance done. Slowly getting rid of the old oils and stuff

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

IMG_7330.jpeg
Back into the wild, all done. Motor mount lift was a bit of a pain due to the ac compressor being in the way for the bolt on the motor mount to come out. So I had to take the whole bracket off the engine, which was hard due to the cats, o2 sensor, driveshaft and upper control arms being in the way. Very thankful for the hoist though. I forgot how good drum brakes are for parking brakes. Pulled my park brake on and started spooling my winch in, after about 2 layers it was really pulling tight, so I looked behind to notice that I had been locked up on the rear tires, ash’s had run out of water for lube, but it’s all working I think. Really needs some tires next.

Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Post by Snowracer »

looking good :cheers:

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

I’m kinda having a hard time with tires for this. I kinda want to run something like a 285/75r17 or 295/70r17. Something a little skinnier than a 12.5 wide and 34ish inches tall. Everything I’m finding is $5-600/tire which seems really high for that small of a tire. They are almost as expensive as my 37’s. Anyone got any leads on cheaper tires, that are round and aggressive?

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

I had the same problem when I was looking for tires like that. It's just a bit oddball so they're as much money as a bigger normal size.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:28 pm I had the same problem when I was looking for tires like that. It's just a bit oddball so they're as much money as a bigger normal size.
I might need to just move up to 35’s. I figured I’d have a bit more power and room for a lurker more suspension travel on the slightly smaller, skinnier tires. That being said , I’m going to test fit the 37’s I have already and see how much fender I need to move to make them run

arse_sidewards
Forum Addict
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 17 times

Post by arse_sidewards »

Can you just do 31-32"? Plenty of OEM truck tires in those sizes which means plenty of cheap Chinese E-rated tires in more aggressive patterns.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

arse_sidewards wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:43 am Can you just do 31-32"? Plenty of OEM truck tires in those sizes which means plenty of cheap Chinese E-rated tires in more aggressive patterns.
Reality I could and probably should, it’s on 31” ko2’s right now. Locally there’s a brand new set of take offs from a gladiator that are 32” mt’s. It would do well in the dune area with the smaller tires, but I’m being greedy and will probably wind up with a tire big enough it’ll rub and I’ll wind up redoing the suspension.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by pointsnorth »

are you getting any rear drive line vibes yet with the lift

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

pointsnorth wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:40 am are you getting any rear drive line vibes yet with the lift
No it was running fine, but with the motor mount lift it took a lot of the angle out of the rear for now, once I lift the transmission I suspect that will not be the case. I might build the mount offset so I can just flip the mount to tuck once I do the slip yoke eliminator. It’s not in the budget at the moment.

Joe_the_ice_man
Forum Addict
Has Liked: 41 times
Been Liked: 27 times

Post by Joe_the_ice_man »

Scoobienorth wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:48 pm I’m kinda having a hard time with tires for this. I kinda want to run something like a 285/75r17 or 295/70r17. Something a little skinnier than a 12.5 wide and 34ish inches tall. Everything I’m finding is $5-600/tire which seems really high for that small of a tire. They are almost as expensive as my 37’s. Anyone got any leads on cheaper tires, that are round and aggressive?
The Ching Chong tire place here in Edmonton seems to have a decent selection of 285/70r17 right now for about 250 a piece, not exactly what you were looking for but might be worth a call if you want cheap. I think they will ship them too, but I have no idea what that costs.
'89 Sami 2.3,03-72LE - The Corona Wagon [url]https://forum.4x4north.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=216[/url]

'87 Sami, stockish drivetrain with CJ5 springs - Another unfinished Sami - find it yourself :razz:

'53 Willys CJ3b Buick 225,sm465,Dana 18,Dana 44s

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

No real decent pics. But I’ve gotten out a couple times, this time the trail was a quad trail, so I took a whack of body damage. Learned that my ko2’s really suck on ice, had to winch a bunch because I refused to learn that my tires could be that bad, combined with no lockers.
IMG_7352.jpeg
. I think I’d like some limb risers, as much as I hate to admit it. But everything is pretty grown in and the window will take a pile of damage. Might need a front bumper with some fender guard as well.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

72954430974__88AA4332-B3D5-4A2A-AFF6-C371F1142141.jpeg
Tires showed up. 285/75r17 Toyo mt, c load rated which is rare for this size. I was looking up the China tires in Edmonton and they had these on a pretty good deal, good enough I couldn’t do the cheap tire thing. Without air they are 33.5” tall and 10.5 wide which set about where I wanted to be. Should be able to get decent wheel travel with the lift I have and not spend a bunch of coin at it. I also grabbed some rancho rs5000 shocks for a 3.5” lift which have about 10” of travel and are 1.5” longer collapsed than I have, so that means they are probably long enough to have a coil fall out on me.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Hmm, wonder how they will do in snow. The Toyos have a bad rap, but maybe that's because they're all load range E normally.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:38 am Hmm, wonder how they will do in snow. The Toyos have a bad rap, but maybe that's because they're all load range E normally.
They haven’t impressed me in the icy stuff for sure in the past but in reality I’m the snow the gladiator on 37’s will destroy the tj anyways and I’ll probably take that. The tj is mostly offroad, and close areas stuff. If I’m going hardcore in the snow I’ll either swap my gladiator tires over or take it. My biggest thing was a mud tire as they perform better up here even in the sandier areas, round, and reasonably tough/true to size and the Toyo hit all of those. Being c load rated was a bonus. One of the Toyo’s was with .25 ounce of being balanced on the factory gladiator wheels so they should drive decent.