Project Lay-Z-Boy

Document your builds and projects here
pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Re: Project Lay-Z-Boy

Post by pointsnorth »

I’ve broken a carrier like that wedged In a deep v-notch with tons of traction before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 61 times

Post by Scoobienorth »

I didn’t think a 26:1 crawl ratio with my sacked auto transmission had it in it to be bc honest.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 142 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Those stock carriers sure aren't great. That might have been cracking for a while and finally split good.

So, what's the upgrade plan?

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:50 am Those stock carriers sure aren't great. That might have been cracking for a while and finally split good.

So, what's the upgrade plan?
Think I’m going to try and get it running again on the cheap and easy and keep sending it, perhaps slightly gentler though

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

I really want to build another rig, something a bit more serious, this thing is pretty beat and wore down. I thought the trans was on its last legs when I bought it almost 5 years ago and this current Tcase is on its way out. Motor is solid, I’d like to borrow a few parts for the white jeep and keep it on 33-34” tires.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Ordered a new carrier off Amazon for $118. No one lovely could get one except Lordco and they quoted me “roughly” $1200....

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

you looking to stay on a jeep platform or maybe something different

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

pointsnorth wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:44 am you looking to stay on a jeep platform or maybe something different
Both. I’d like to ideally build a more dedicated rig for the snow season, bigger tires and trans/tcase/diffs with more gearing options, bigger tires, 42’s. Kicker for me is it needs to be completely streetable. Was thinking like a ranger extra cab with a Jeep 4.5L stroker motor, manual trans into doubler and super duty diffs. Reality is it’s probably easier and not that much of a weight difference to just find an old f-250 and drop superduty diffs in and it’ll be a lower heat score for street driving.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

A regular cab short box v10 would be sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Nothing really pic worthy but I managed to score a mostly complete jk d30 front end, all there except the outer knuckle assembly, but did have some brake parts off Facebook for a reasonable price, plan is so I’ve got stock on parts I will need, another carrier, axles and if I party to hard a spare housing. Also started a new job and a coworker has a parts wj, v8 one with motor issues, so tempted up load up on more parts from it, spare rear diff, some misc. parts I tend to go through, it’s not color matching but may take more body parts, especially the rear door since it seems to take a beating and the rear side glass.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Goal is to finish this winter still driving, tcase is on its way out. If I’m going to keep wheeling this it’ll need to step up one more time. Brian is talking about buying my 37’s, so I may step up to 38” milestar Patagonia mostly to gain a little width to help float. I don’t think it’ll be that much harder on parts, I definitely need to regear and would really like to add an eco box doubler when I swap tcases, as I’ll need driveshafts anyways. Certain snow conditions I’d love to have 100:1 instead of my 28:1 crawl ratio but I’ll have to be careful, it’ll twist my drivetrain apart. Definitely no doubler on the rocks. I’ll also need to lose more weight, got the door speakers, possibly rear window regulators, one side is already hot and miss working, maybe finish plumbing my a/c compressor for on board air and leave my current compressor at home, ditch the spare tire, not sure where else you cut weight, it’s pretty trim already.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Ecobox is a good unit. Definitely worth the price.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Radical idea time, since this rig is down for a while due to budget constraints , been contemplating taking it further. Thinking of gutting the rear setup, making a firewall behind the rear seat, moving radiator maybe to rear drivers side window area, battery in the back, sealed tool box, and ditching the hatch and rear side windows, would lighten the front, could gain approach angle, and drop overall weight. I’ve got most of the stuff already to do this on hand except possibly a front wheel drive car radiator/fan setup and plumbing?? Any thoughts on this?

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

The rad is probably more trouble than it’s worth and works well as I don’t ever overheat and it gets worked hard, the battery however might go backwards and might help gain some uptravel and flex up front as I’m pretty congested up front but with Airbox gone on one side and the battery on the other, delete the cruise control module I might be able to get another inch or more uptravel

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Most rear mounted rad setups aren't worth it on anything with a body. Hard to plumb, poses a safety risk if not plumbed properly, often the pump has trouble feeding them if you've snaked the hoses a bunch, and in general you get horrible airflow.

Unless you're really wanting to go with a dovenose type setup and really narrow it and cut it back, it isn't worth it.