Document your builds and projects here
HillBilt
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Re: Super Shopper Special

Post by HillBilt »

Then I put together Artecs HD trac bar mount, which was decent quality

Got it tacked on the axle, only thing I don't like is it makes my trac bar shorter. If you look in the pic at the bottom of the passenger coil mount, you can see the factory trac bar mount location, so will be a good 4"s shorter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Building Junk-Wheeling Junk-Breaking Junk

HillBilt
Actually Wheels

Post by HillBilt »

Now onto the truss. As mentioned before the D30 one I was told to used was a total joke, not only did it not work it was a cheesy piece of crap. So I picked up some 5" x 3/8" flat bar and went to work

Got it all bent up and clearanced for the trac bar bolts

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by pointsnorth »

hopefully that shorter trackbar doesnt give you savage bumpsteer there was no way to tip the axle mount out that would allow you to mount the track bar further out?

HillBilt
Actually Wheels

Post by HillBilt »

I also had to make new UCA bushings. The plan for the lift is to use a Rubicon Express 4.5" long arm kit so will be running a radius arm in the front and will use the stock style UCA bushings. I decided to build my own beefier version of the stock ones. I had a few TMR weld in bushing kits laying around so turned them down on the lathe to fit inside the UCA mount

Also shortened up the bushings and made new inserts

Here is the turned down bushings beside the original ones

HillBilt
Actually Wheels

Post by HillBilt »

And then made some Bushing mounts to capture it. Finally got to use my HMF stencils I had Jordan cut me awhile ago

Test fit

HillBilt
Actually Wheels

Post by HillBilt »

Burned in the UCA bushing mounts and got them measured up and tacked on the truss for a test fit :pimp:

I had to make another hole for the air locker line and it just clears the mount, will be tight

HillBilt
Actually Wheels

Post by HillBilt »

A little arts and crafts session to finish up the truss

CAD transfer to some 1/8" plate

Burned it all in. At this point I had already test fitted the axle into the jeep a few times. If you look at the top drivers side of the truss youll see I notched it out to clear the upper trac bar mount

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 144 times
Been Liked: 49 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

It's annoying how Jeep made the UCA bushings press into the axle. Looks like that's a reasonable solution.
pointsnorth wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:12 am hopefully that shorter trackbar doesnt give you savage bumpsteer there was no way to tip the axle mount out that would allow you to mount the track bar further out?
It tends to get really tight on the steering... Which is why mine wound up where it is on my XJ.

To do it over I'd run a bent drag link and tie rod, like Ford does with the Stuperduty, and make a little breathing room for everything else.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

I rolled mine forward as much as I could to give me room it has about and 1/8 of clearance between it and the steering at full lock

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote:It's annoying how Jeep made the UCA bushings press into the axle. Looks like that's a reasonable solution.
pointsnorth wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:12 am hopefully that shorter trackbar doesnt give you savage bumpsteer there was no way to tip the axle mount out that would allow you to mount the track bar further out?
It tends to get really tight on the steering... Which is why mine wound up where it is on my XJ.

To do it over I'd run a bent drag link and tie rod, like Ford does with the Stuperduty, and make a little breathing room for everything else.

I may need to put a bend in mine yet as it’s super tight.

HillBilt
Actually Wheels

Post by HillBilt »

pointsnorth wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:54 pm
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote:It's annoying how Jeep made the UCA bushings press into the axle. Looks like that's a reasonable solution.

I may need to put a bend in mine yet as it’s super tight.

I fully expect bump steer, how much, not too sure but I will do my best to minimize it. Its super tight with the drag link as Im running high steer. Been looking at the freddy link from Evo and mounting the drag link to the tie rod. Will deffinatly help my drag link to match up angles with my trac bar, it doesnt help with it being shorter but will be the best I can do with the setup.

HillBilt
Actually Wheels

Post by HillBilt »

I should clarify that Im unable to run the tie rod in the high steer position as I don't have clearance. I drilled out the stock location on the knuckles and moved the tie rod to be mounted from the top and not the bottom, so the Freddy link would be used with the tie rod in that location, not the high steer location

HillBilt
Actually Wheels

Super Shopper Special

Post by HillBilt »

So heres a few issues I encountered with some test fits of the axle.
With it being a D44 and using a bigger truss the UCA axle mounts ended up have more separation at the axle and being higher. I extended the length of the control arms to reach but had to notch out the truss right here on both sides

Next up the truss would just touch the oil pan at full stuff. I ended up pushing it ahead another 1/2 inch and notch the truss for extra measure

Also got the LCA mounts from Artec and being a HD stock replacement they had a notch for the stock cam bolt, issue for me

and this is how much i needed to shorten the trac bar roughly 4"

Last edited by HillBilt on Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HillBilt
Actually Wheels

Post by HillBilt »

I spun up some heavy duty weld washers on the lathe for the LCA mounts

I also made up some new bushings for them as I wanted to up the bolt size from 7/16 to 1/2"

Burned them in and can also see where I notched clearance for the UCAs

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 144 times
Been Liked: 49 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

I like the weld washers, and going up to 1/2" bolts on the UCAs is definitely worthwhile. It's actually amazing how few people break the factory M12 or 7/16" bolts in there, but it does happen.