Super Shopper Special

Document your builds and projects here
Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 69 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Re: Super Shopper Special

Post by Scoobienorth »

Nice to see it being used finally. Side note, only some of the v8 wj’s had the hydraulic fan.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Scoobienorth wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:25 pm Nice to see it being used finally. Side note, only some of the v8 wj’s had the hydraulic fan.
Yeah, you gotta watch that you get the legit pump from a hydraulic fan application. Lots of the remans aren't the correct pump.

Definitely a good upgrade though. I run one with my hydro-asssit and it's way nicer than a stock pump.

HillBilt
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Post by HillBilt »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote:
Scoobienorth wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:25 pm Nice to see it being used finally. Side note, only some of the v8 wj’s had the hydraulic fan.
Yeah, you gotta watch that you get the legit pump from a hydraulic fan application. Lots of the remans aren't the correct pump.

Definitely a good upgrade though. I run one with my hydro-asssit and it's way nicer than a stock pump.
Good to know, as I wasn’t aware of that. I got a NEW pump, it had 2 return line ports and made quite a difference so I’m assuming I got lucky and got the correct one Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Building Junk-Wheeling Junk-Breaking Junk

HillBilt
Actually Wheels

Post by HillBilt »

Well, been getting some miles on this thing, had a few issues along the way but so far nothing to major.

Front spindle Fiasco:
The previous maintenance program the diffs were on wasn’t the greatest so had a wheel bearing spin on the inner race. A real long story short, the diff was built with all Chevy parts from the knuckle out, and the spindle that was used was a pre ‘78 1/2ton which has a smaller inner bearing. Chevy switched when they introduced the 10bolt to the 3/4 ton size spindle on the 1/2 and 3/4tons. After ALOT of pissing around I figured that out but didn’t have any so spun down a 10bolt spindle to fit the smaller inner bearing for now.

HillBilt
Actually Wheels

Post by HillBilt »

Also upgraded the hubs to the Yukon Flavour, these things are beef, and pretty happy with them so far. Hopefully this will be the end of my hub breakage as when this was under my old explorer I went through a few sets. I also plan to upgrade the shafts here soon too.

I also shimmed up my rear Jonny joints to get them to stop banging, had to replace my pressure line on the PS pump as the crimp started leaking. But put another 300km over the last couple weekends with no issues

I do have a set of front JKS adjustable spacers that I will modify to fit the rear. Just been waiting on my springs to sack a bit and they are getting close. Also got a set of front tube style fenders that will be going on, was just waiting for the colour match paint to come in and it showed up so that will be the next project before I get a VI for tire poke.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Are you going to swap to different outers or keep running the GM stuff? Lots of guys turn those spindles down like that and it seems to work fine. :rasta:

HillBilt
Actually Wheels

Post by HillBilt »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote:Are you going to swap to different outers or keep running the GM stuff? Lots of guys turn those spindles down like that and it seems to work fine. :rasta:
I’m going to keep the GM parts as they are far superior Image
Right on good to know, I didn’t put a good radius on it so that worries me a bit. I have 6 other spindles that I can attempt a better job at as was in somewhat of a rush when I did that one.

HillBilt
Actually Wheels

Post by HillBilt »

Got the tube front fenders installed, tried to colour match but not perfect. Still think they turned out decent. Went for a drive on Sunday, everything worked mint

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Sweet fenders :smokin:

HillBilt
Actually Wheels

Post by HillBilt »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote:Sweet fenders :smokin:
Thanks, not bad. I got them from Mountain Vista Fabrication. They are pretty good quality. I had some shipping damage and the passenger one was tweaked so kinda made mounting it a pain. Only issue I ran into was after I mounted them the doors wouldn’t open and had to re adjust the fenders. But aside from that a quality product.

HillBilt
Actually Wheels

Post by HillBilt »

Few shots from the Telkwa pass we did a few weeks ago. Jeep ran great, lost my exhaust a few times along the way, so just tossed it in the back and ran it open for full white trash effect

HillBilt
Actually Wheels

Post by HillBilt »

Figured I’d finish up the rear suspension with the install of my ACOS spacers. They don’t make rear spacers for the ZJ and the TJ ones have a real short bump. So I got the ZJ/XJ/TJ front ones, mainly because the threaded bump tube is longer and figured I could make it work.

Removed the springs and did a quick test and had to remove the seam around the coil pocket to fit the spacer up.
Before

After

With the factory rubber spacer removed I measured it with the new unit and ended up machining it down 1/2” as it still gives you lift without the adjustment nut threaded down. Wasn’t needed to fit but I didn’t want it to sit jacked in the rear.

Just turned down the top spacer .500

HillBilt
Actually Wheels

Post by HillBilt »

Then made up some weld nuts to weld onto the factory coil retainer?

And welded on. This is where the ACOS unit is bolted on

And installed. Removed the factory bump as it’s not needed anymore

HillBilt
Actually Wheels

Post by HillBilt »

Was actually a pretty easy install. I’m not sure if it’s a common thing, but I did do some searching and found nothing on it. Jeep sits pretty much factory stance now as it was squatted a bit in the rear after the springs settled. Now I can adjust the height on the rear if I put a bunch of gear in it for a longer trip or if the springs sag anymore.

HillBilt
Actually Wheels

Post by HillBilt »

Update on the minivan, its been stellar all winter. Getting a feel for it and pushing it has been fun, seems pretty capable in the snow and handles the hyway decent. Only issue has been the rear air locker line needed to be re routed as it was to close to a heat source and blew out on us a couple times, and I blew off the steering return line and figure I took the new pump out, so will be replacing it shortly.