ADHD build

Document your builds and projects here
Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Re: ADHD build

Post by Scoobienorth »

Man that sucks pulling the motor back out. Irok come together though.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Frustrating, but at least you caught it before stuff really went bad.

Johnny5
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Johnny5 »

Awesome to hear ya had her running, sucks that a new ignition box failed right away. Electronics seam to fail a lot more often now then “back in the day” lol
And I hope the coolant in oil is just a gasket or seal and not a cylinder or cracked head

Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Post by Snowracer »

figured i would clean the shop before pulling the truck back apart. so drove the truck out of the shop and around the yard on friday
IMG_20230407_110600.jpg
then pulled the motor out and tore it down again
IMG_20230408_130845.jpg
IMG_20230408_131216.jpg
found my rear main leak, not really sure what happened there but will try again
IMG_20230408_125752.jpg
still went out wheeling this weekend just had to ride with buddy in the crew cab obs
FB_IMG_1681140565750.jpg

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

while waiting on motor parts i figured id give the steering box a drill and tap job, will do a pump upgrade once i have the motor back together. did the math on the ram i have and its a little big so will be slower then a PSC ram but will try it for now
IMG_20230411_195908.jpg

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

ghetto ram is mounted
IMG_20230412_185741.jpg

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Princess Auto ram? They honestly seem to be surprisingly well built. :laughing:

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:42 am Princess Auto ram? They honestly seem to be surprisingly well built. :laughing:
yep but is supposed to have clevis ends so i cut them off and welded some 3/4 joint bungs on it all ghetto like :homer:

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

got the motor cleaned and put back together, but before putting back in the truck i wanted to figure out my new power steering pump set up. Had a F53 ford motor home pump, its basically a g2 gear pump but with a relief and regulator built in. big gph and psi so way better then what i was running and probably better then a $$$ psc pump

used one of the stock pump mounting holes and made an adapter plate

notched the pump bracket to fit the new pump and adapter

was able to press the stock pump pulley on, wasnt able to fully press it on but went as far as i could to line the belt up but dont think it will be an issue

then stabbed the motor back in the truck, just need to make up steering resi and lines then can start up the truck and see if i fixed the milk shake issue

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Snowracer wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:41 am
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:42 am Princess Auto ram? They honestly seem to be surprisingly well built. :laughing:
yep but is supposed to have clevis ends so i cut them off and welded some 3/4 joint bungs on it all ghetto like :homer:
I wish they'd just sell them with threaded ends for all the bojangers out there.

That pump is interesting. Seems like it would be pretty easy to adapt to pretty much anything. Hmm.

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

they do offer one that already has joints on the ends. its the same size as what im running now so little big and will probably be slow for hydro assist but oh well

https://www.princessauto.com/en/top-lin ... 1000000426

the pump is really hard to find specs for but have hear its supposed to do over 4gph and 2000+ psi. im running a g2 gear pump on the buggy from the last rig and the f53 pump is very similar so should work well

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

whipped up a steering resi last night, should hold just over a liter of fluid. put both a -6 and -8 fitting for return so can up grade line size down the road if needed. also a npt bung in the top for a breather fitting

HillBilt
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by HillBilt »

Nice work on the pump setup, should work mint :smokin:
Building Junk-Wheeling Junk-Breaking Junk

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

well this truck just loves to make me do everything 2 or 3 times it seems. mounted up the resi and filled the system and ram would not work. just went out and would not come back in, figured i messed up the one fitting as i put it to deep in the port. took the box apart welded up the port and moved the fitting and still same issue. said f it take the ram off and cap the fittings. dropped the truck down and tried to steer it and it blew the sector shaft seal right out and painted my shop floor and everything around it in atf. buddy lent me another box he had that was drilled and ported for assist.
slapped that in the truck with out the ram to see if it would blow the seal out as was worried the new pump was to much psi. box held up and no leaks or issues to be seen, hooked the ram back up and got it to work but felt meh and kinda hard to turn, slapped the 44s on the front and it felt the same as it did with stock tires but turned them so is just the ram being to big and slow. steering box was a loaner so posted up looking for a box and buddy still had my box from the Haywagon build that was ported and even my psc ram so bought all that back from him. only thing i can say is the f53 pump is crazy loud, almost sounds like its draining the resi as has that kind of sound or if i just need to go to tractor fluid vs atf to help out or what.

resi mounted up

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

and the best part is 44s on the front looks wicked :devil:

but need to go back and cut the bumper back and trim more fender

and got the roof painted finally