Shop tj build

Document your builds and projects here
pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Re: Shop tj build

Post by pointsnorth »

As far as how it works with the mods Im very happy with how it turned out. The suspension is dialed and handles even better at high speeds then the stock setup did. Having got into some turns a little spicy over the weekend Im very impressed. the mtrs and beadlocks work really well at 5ps,i I just wish they were a 35-37 but diff upgrades and regearing first as 6th gear is a hard no . Going to add a power steering cooler as the front spartan works the steering system. I built this thing so that I can Just jump in it and go for a couple days just exploring the backroads and it will do that no problem right now. I feel the dana 35 is on borrowed time and will need gears to do any long distance trips with it. with a dana 44 rear and gears I will be confident to run it down to say sandhollow or moab

Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Post by Snowracer »

any reason not to do an explorer 8.8? as they seem to be a easy swap and will hold up pretty well to 37s and some power

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Shop tj build

Post by pointsnorth »

I really don’t like the fact you have to run wheel spacers on the rear diff if you run a 8.8. To me wheel spacers are a bandaid that will bite you in the ass at the worst time. I’ve got a line on a tj dana 44 locally I just have to wait for him to swap to full widths

If this was a trailered rig spacers would be a option but I don’t want to be 1000 k from home and have a spacer issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Post by Snowracer »

pointsnorth wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:41 pm I really don’t like the fact you have to run wheel spacers on the rear diff if you run a 8.8. To me wheel spacers are a bandaid that will bite you in the ass at the worst time. I’ve got a line on a tj dana 44 locally I just have to wait for him to swap to full widths

If this was a trailered rig spacers would be a option but I don’t want to be 1000 k from home and have a spacer issue

makes sense, i forgot that the 8.8 is at as wide.

should just whip up a full float 9" set up, or toy center section as you have lot of them laying around. shouldnt be to hard to match width with one of them toy axles then just redrill it to the jeep pattern :homer:

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

a 2wd tacoma is the right width and same bolt pattern with larger axle shafts. there was a magazine build years ago that they put one in a 4 cylinder tj and ran it as tail gunner in the ultimate adventure on 36s the only down side is the gearing match I think the lowest you can go is 4.88

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

have been putting lots of miles on this thing lately highway and offroad and there is not much more I want to change beside the previously mentioned mods. maybe change up to a actual tire carrier. One i can carry a full size spare and strap a cooler too

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Post by Scoobienorth »

I think the Toyota diff would make sense for you, especially with your experience with them, 4.88 is definitely tall gearing but the diff clearance is really nice to have. I found that with my d35 and 36” iroks and 37’s on that I could clear stuff on the diffs like the one ton 40+” guys. Could always add a doubler for the crawl stuff. I prefer a dual 2.7 setup over a 4:1 any day

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

Snowracer wrote:
pointsnorth wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:41 pm I really don’t like the fact you have to run wheel spacers on the rear diff if you run a 8.8. To me wheel spacers are a bandaid that will bite you in the ass at the worst time. I’ve got a line on a tj dana 44 locally I just have to wait for him to swap to full widths

makes sense, i forgot that the 8.8 is at as wide.

should just whip up a full float 9" set up, or toy center section as you have lot of them laying around. shouldnt be to hard to match width with one of them toy axles then just redrill it to the jeep pattern :homer:
Ford semi float Dana 60s shaft will work with a toy centre section

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

Tossed a shittybilt rack on before the long week end. Three hours of absolute misery. I ended up machining down parts and replacing every bolt they supplied with the kit. Factory rim won’t fit unless you let all the air out then bolt it down then fill it up. I have a fifth beadlock I just can’t find a good year mtr for a full size spare

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

The cross piece came within 3/16s of the rear glass. I took off 3/4 of a inch

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Sounds like their stuff. It bolts on, but to make it work right you have to do some reengineering.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

Tossed the factory y-steering in the trash before running Telkwa pass. Picked up a 4wheel parts sale hd steering. It Got rid of 95 percent of the steering wheel wobble on the highway that the unbalanced bead locked mtrs had.

Not super impressed with the mtrs they seemed to really take a shit kicking this summer. I’ve done over 5000km on gravel roads and they are looking pretty rough Image

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

So far I’ve taken this thing so many places this winter. 4 psi seems to be the sweet spot. I’m really needing to rehear for the deep stuff as my clutch is hating life

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Post by Scoobienorth »

What gears do you have in it? I found in the snow sometimes I hated the deep gears and sometimes I didn’t have deep enough.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

Scoobienorth wrote:What gears do you have in it? I found in the snow sometimes I hated the deep gears and sometimes I didn’t have deep enough.
I’ve got 4.11s now I want to go to a 5.13 or 5.38 as sixth gear is a hard no on the highway and fifth is iffy when I’m loaded for long trips. Plus I want to be running a 36-37 by summer