The FSU trail buggy build

Document your builds and projects here
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Re: The FSU trail buggy build

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Looks like that stuff should be beefy enough. How's the angles on full droop?

HillBilt
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by HillBilt »

Rear shaft is wider than it is long :pimp:
Going to have to get creative with the header collector, maybe trim it up a bit higher and put a bend in it or just run open headers :smokin: :smokin:
Building Junk-Wheeling Junk-Breaking Junk

Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Post by Snowracer »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:52 am Looks like that stuff should be beefy enough. How's the angles on full droop?
front is zero issues. rear i havent taken to full drop yet but did test fit the shaft and let it drop and it should have enough angle. the real issue with the rear is the shaft being shorter then my links so it uses lots of slip and i wont be able to use all of the wheel travel the trailing arms will give me. from my ruff math the rear shaft should let me use about 12" of vertical travel, but will have to cycle and see exactly

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

HillBilt wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:54 am Rear shaft is wider than it is long :pimp:
Going to have to get creative with the header collector, maybe trim it up a bit higher and put a bend in it or just run open headers :smokin: :smokin:
i have about 4inches to play with if i cut the header back, so im hopping i can cut it back and put a 90 bend right off the header and clear the shaft

and its getting full exhaust with a muffler as i dont want to spend all day listening to a low hp bbf wth open headers :rolleyes:

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by pointsnorth »

This thing is bad ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

so this is something im not proud of and wasnt going to share here but its part of this build so i will. when welding the chassis up i messed up and either it moved a lot or i didnt double and triple check my measuments. the front top half of the chassis wound up off center. one of the vertical front tubes was not straight as well and that one is very much on me being in a rush. i never noticed it till i started to build the front bumper and then right away could see that it was not straight and chassis was not centered. been putting off fixing it as knew it was going to be a shit job to do. was able to cut the front tubes out and reuse them and relief cut some other welds and pull the top over to line up.

not perfect but 100 times better then it was and i couldnt get it to go any more

and with it all welded back up in place i could finish up the bumper and grill and this time everything lined up

HMF got my shock mounts cut out for me this weekend as well, think they will be pretty sweet when welded up

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Bummer it wasn't square, but the fix looks close enough that nobody will ever know, especially after it's been thrashed around a bit.

Those shock mounts look like they'll be tits.

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:48 am Bummer it wasn't square, but the fix looks close enough that nobody will ever know, especially after it's been thrashed around a bit.

ya as far as i can tell its now within 1/16 of an inch so thats something you will never see or notice

Johnny5
Actually Wheels
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Johnny5 »

Snowracer wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:36 am
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:48 am Bummer it wasn't square, but the fix looks close enough that nobody will ever know, especially after it's been thrashed around a bit.

ya as far as i can tell its now within 1/16 of an inch so thats something you will never see or notice

Ya but now that youve said something people are gonna follow you around with a square and a tap measure hahaha

HillBilt
Actually Wheels
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by HillBilt »

Be proud! not everyone can pull off a build like this, and meh, mistakes happen, Id be a liar if I said my rig was square :laughing: . If you were to put a tape or square to anyone's build or OEM Id put money on none of them being 100%

Looking forward to seeing the shock mounts come together :pimp:
Building Junk-Wheeling Junk-Breaking Junk

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by pointsnorth »

ive had mine apart a couple times after a nite of thrashing on it only to walk in the next morning and be like what the f?

now I will tack it and then come back the next day double check my measurements then weld

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Johnny5 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:09 am
Snowracer wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:36 am

Ya but now that youve said something people are gonna follow you around with a square and a tap measure hahaha
that would probably be a good thing and keep me from messing up again :ideas:
HillBilt wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:15 am Be proud! not everyone can pull off a build like this, and meh, mistakes happen, Id be a liar if I said my rig was square :laughing: . If you were to put a tape or square to anyone's build or OEM Id put money on none of them being 100%

Looking forward to seeing the shock mounts come together :pimp:
i was really tempted to say f it and leave it as i could have hide it if i just fixed the one vertical tube but with running the grille and bumper it made it to noticeable
pointsnorth wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:53 am ive had mine apart a couple times after a nite of thrashing on it only to walk in the next morning and be like what the f?

now I will tack it and then come back the next day double check my measurements then weld
shit happens as this aint the first mess up on this buggy :rolleyes:

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

so finally got my ass in gear this weekend and went out to the shop to weld shock mounts up and sure thing ran out of wire half way through the first one. hope to finish them this week and get the rest of the suspension stuff done

SasquatchCdn
Web Wheeler
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by SasquatchCdn »

Them shock mounts are pimp.

Are you leaving room for a second shock?

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

SasquatchCdn wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:53 am Them shock mounts are pimp. ImageImage

Are you leaving room for a second shock?

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk
no room for a second shock, dont really think ill need it as running 3" coilover with compression adjusters upfront.