The Corona Wagon - Just another 2.3 Sami

Document your builds and projects here
pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Re: The Corona Wagon - Just another 2.3 Sami

Post by pointsnorth »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:17 pm Look at that paint, we've got another SEMA build here.
bluetooth driveshafts lol

Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Post by Snowracer »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:17 pm Look at that paint, we've got another SEMA build here.
paint makes everything look faster, same as hp stickers :pimp:

Joe_the_ice_man
Forum Addict
Has Liked: 41 times
Been Liked: 27 times

Post by Joe_the_ice_man »

Snowracer wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:05 pm paint makes everything look faster, same as hp stickers :pimp:
When what you're starting with is a Samurai, you need every little bit you can get. :laughing:
'89 Sami 2.3,03-72LE - The Corona Wagon [url]https://forum.4x4north.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=216[/url]

'87 Sami, stockish drivetrain with CJ5 springs - Another unfinished Sami - find it yourself :razz:

'53 Willys CJ3b Buick 225,sm465,Dana 18,Dana 44s

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Joe_the_ice_man wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:43 pm
Snowracer wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:05 pm paint makes everything look faster, same as hp stickers :pimp:
When what you're starting with is a Samurai, you need every little bit you can get. :laughing:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Joe_the_ice_man
Forum Addict

Got the engine back in and running last night. The wiring is still a mess and I spent half an hour looking for a ground to make the ECM boot up :rolleyes:, but it runs now.

Didnt run it long enough to get it to operating temp because the intermediate driveshaft was off and the trans was dumping ATF on the floor... and unfortunately the intermediate shaft is short enough/in tight enough that the ujoints dont flex enough to sneak the slip yoke in past the Tcase. Tcase has to come out every time for the driveshaft in or out. :rolleyes: I may be able to loosen the mounts and wiggle it in, but that's a problem for after I get my poor broken body back from physio today.

I also had the forethought to smear a layer of tremclad flat black on the firewall and inside of the trans tunnel while everything was out. I'm not much for bodywork and paint, so it was a smear. Hopefully that will do until next time I have to tear something apart.

All the rust repair makes me want to just get one of them aluminum tubs they make in Kelowna (I think), but I'm scared to look at the price.
Attachments
20221002_185820.jpg
'89 Sami 2.3,03-72LE - The Corona Wagon [url]https://forum.4x4north.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=216[/url]

'87 Sami, stockish drivetrain with CJ5 springs - Another unfinished Sami - find it yourself :razz:

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Joe_the_ice_man wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:48 am All the rust repair makes me want to just get one of them aluminum tubs they make in Kelowna (I think), but I'm scared to look at the price.
The tub is only $5551 CAD. :homer: http://www.hardbody4x4.com/uploads/6/4/ ... y_2022.pdf

If I was trying to do some sort of really nice build I'd probably just accept that going that route is the way to do it. Anything that's going to get beat, ehhhhh, just patch the rust.

Joe_the_ice_man
Forum Addict

I'll probably *eventually* just bite the bullet and get a tub, imma patch and scab in the meantime until I save up enough for one though...after I have "finished" the rest of my projects :lmao:

Joe_the_ice_man
Forum Addict

Progress for the weekend, it runs.

25 ish PSI oil pressure at idle, jumps to 45 ish as soon as you touch the throttle. I think I'm happy with that.

Threw my 33s on with some wheels my dad found me on Facebook. They leak and are very much not safe, but are alright for mockup purposes. Cut the stupid little bumperettes off and now I can turn lock to lock without rubbing with the suspension level, will need a little bit more clearancing to not rub with any compression though.
20221003_210529.jpg
Mounted the ECM and cleaned up some of the wiring, mocked up the dash. Installed new outer door handles and window cranks. Freed up the door latch mechanisms and now the doors open from the outside, quality of life fix.
It almost looks like something from the inside now, other than being able to see the ground through parts of the floor and rocker panels...
20221003_210602.jpg
Installed my hybrid drag link for the WJ box. I built up the Suzuki one with weld, cut it off, lathed it down and threaded it for the WJ drag link end. I'm not sure this will work for sure yet, I still have a bit more figuring to make the box fit, let alone handle right. It works good enough to move around the yard for the time being.
20221003_120119.jpg
Intermediate driveshaft is not as much of a pain to get in and out as I thought it would be, I can undo the mounts, lift it an inch and turn it a little bit and the intermediate shaft comes right out.

I was gonna drive up and down the driveway with it, or maybe even around the subdivision, but as soon as I put it in reverse, the tack welds holding the rear spring perches broke and the axle spun in the u-bolts again. I guess it's about time I decide on how much pinion angle I can get away with and weld the perches on solid.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Looks good on the 33s. :smokin:

Interesting idea to build the drag link up with weld and then machine/thread it. That's poorboy AF but I can't see it being any worse than the stock sized stuff.

Joe_the_ice_man
Forum Addict

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:23 am That's poorboy AF but I can't see it being any worse than the stock sized stuff.
Ya know what Scott :flipoff:

People were suggesting that I just butt weld the WJ and Sami drag links together but I felt better about this way.

I think I know where I can get a couple sidekick steering boxes, which I think I will do regardless, but I wanna see how the WJ box makes it handle before I put one in. Dads got another Sami that needs power steering too.

At the time I was mocking up my steering, the only sidekick box I could find the guy was asking 300 or a rifle...um no thanks

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

you talk about rear pinion angle what rear driveshaft setup are you running as you will create a vibration if your running the stock shaft

Joe_the_ice_man
Forum Addict

I was screwing around with angles on the lift last night, I think I'm just gonna set it to stock. I'm very tempted to buy the Low Range Offroad perch kit, as I need the u-bolts anyway.

I am running a stock driveshaft for now at least. How much vibration are we talking, and what is the best way to remedy it? I see a lot of the SPOA guys just add a spacer in there, I think I have enough parts to build a whole new shaft if I need one

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

set the perches parallel to the factory spring under setup as that will run vibration free. turning the pinion would take the ujoints out of phase and definitely induce a vibration like drop the tcase out the truck vibration. if you were to turn the pinion you would run it pointing directly at the tcase with a double cardan at the t case and having a straight pointing ujoint on the pinion. there isnt really any in between imo that doesnt have issues

arse_sidewards
Forum Addict
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 17 times

Post by arse_sidewards »

pointsnorth wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:50 pm there isnt really any in between imo that doesnt have issues
Break out the welder and run some old school CV joint drive shafts. :laughing:

Joe_the_ice_man
Forum Addict

pointsnorth wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:50 pm set the perches parallel to the factory spring under setup as that will run vibration free. turning the pinion would take the ujoints out of phase and definitely induce a vibration like drop the tcase out the truck vibration. if you were to turn the pinion you would run it pointing directly at the tcase with a double cardan at the t case and having a straight pointing ujoint on the pinion. there isnt really any in between imo that doesnt have issues
Ok, that was my plan, to set the pinion angle parallel with the output shaft. I was messing around with tilting the Tcase a little bit to cheat my driveshaft angle, but I dont think its worth it, I may find some different bushings and lower it a bit instead.

I did not know you could get away with that on a double cardan, I'll have to remember that.