Milwaukee M18 Fuel

Discussion about building and equipping the workshop
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Milwaukee M18 Fuel

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

So I bought a Milwaukee M18 Fuel chainsaw with one battery because it was too good of a deal to pass up. I thought it would be a little more handy for packing around and using on the trail, since I'm rarely using a saw anyways.

I use Makita at home and DeWalt at work. :lmao:

I do want to buy the 1/2" M18 Fuel impact because I'm told it's better than the Makita. Maybe?

What's the best place to find a charger and another battery? KMS has the impact for quite cheap right now ($280) but I'm not sure if the impact and battery kit is such a good deal?

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Re: Milwaukee M18 Fuel

Actually good ol' Homodepot has the impact for the same price.

Looks like Amazon might be the best place for a charger and batteries? :rasta:

YellowJacket
Web Wheeler
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by YellowJacket »

BCfasterners.com is a good source for milwaukee stuff. Been running Milwaukee stuff at work lately. Have the Fuel M12 drill and just recently got the fuel 1/4 drive electric ratchet. its amazing

Helidump
Forum Addict
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Helidump »

homeless despot had a deal where if you buy the m18 hammer drill and impact driver set (with charger and 2 batteries $300ish) you get another m18 battery or a choice of tools including the m18 angle grinder for free. As far as cordless tools go the milwaukee batteries are relatively cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Helidump wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:05 pm homeless despot had a deal where if you buy the m18 hammer drill and impact driver set (with charger and 2 batteries $300ish) you get another m18 battery or a choice of tools including the m18 angle grinder for free. As far as cordless tools go the milwaukee batteries are relatively cheap.

Yeah, I'm going to go for a waltz through there and see what I can learn.

BIGHOSS
Forum Newbie

Post by BIGHOSS »

Have you taken out the M18 saw yet?

I got a rock pile of M18 5AH battery's that could be used on the saw if it's worth picking up. It's pricey but maybe on sale it would be worth it.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

BIGHOSS wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:32 am Have you taken out the M18 saw yet?

I got a rock pile of M18 5AH battery's that could be used on the saw if it's worth picking up. It's pricey but maybe on sale it would be worth it.
Haven't used it yet. I was going to cut down a birch in my yard with it, but was waiting for it to snow to lessen the damage it does to the lawn. That should be a real test, although it's not a large birch by any means.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Also Amazon was definitely cheapest for batteries. Just had to hunt through all the listings to find the best deal.

rocketron
Forum Newbie

Post by rocketron »

Northern Metallic has good pricing on Milwaukee tools. Usually cheaper than other peoples sale prices.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

BIGHOSS wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:32 am Have you taken out the M18 saw yet?

I finally actually used it and I think it does everything I want and then some.

I had this spruce (I think) that the wind took down last year. Bucked it up into short pieces in about 3 minutes. No lack of power with cuts this size.
20200511_184600.jpg

Also I used it to do a bunch of brushing and bucking up the fucking cottonwood limbs that fall off the neighbour's tree onto my stuff. There was way more than pictured, I'd already burnt a bunch of it in my ceremonial fire for native purposes that was less than .5 meter in size.
20200511_141659.jpg
At that point the battery was still at 3/4 charge.

For clearing the occasional blowdown that's in your way, or cutting some wood for a fire while out and about, I see no reason why you would even need a second battery. Definitely would be worth carrying one and a spare chain though.

Somebody told me they're bar oil hogs. It definitely seem like the chain is dripping with it. So maybe a little excessive there.

Provience
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Provience »

wow, M18 chainsaw, that isn't something i would have ever considered as a thing :rasta:

i'm impressed. honestly, this is the first M18 thing that i've actually been impressed with :laughing: everything else is just another 'yeah whatever, air works or brand x'
Up is difficult, down is dangerous

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

The convenience factor of this thing is huge. Make a cut, snap the brake on and wander off to do something else, come back and release the brake and make another cut. No fighting it to start it when it's hot or cold, no hoping the gas is still good. Just instant power every time, and it stops as soon as you let off the trigger (I don't really want to call it a throttle).

It's also super quiet. Like comfortable enough without earplugs. Should you probably wear ear protection, well, yeah, but it's not like you're waking up the whole neighbourhood or campsite or whatever.

The M18 impact I have absolutely destroys my air one... And it's nice being able to use it out in the driveway without dragging a hose. :flipoff:

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by pointsnorth »

Not much I’m impressed with as far as tools theses days but these have peaked my my interest in the last few months.

Provience
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Provience »

it would make a kickass trail saw for sure, toss it in the rig just in case there is a tree in the way. the ultimate elitist yuppy axe :lmao:

i don't use an impact often enough to justify an electric one, when i do use it, i use it enough that the batteries piss me off to no end. air or a hand wrench have worked for the last 100 years, don't need no fancy rattler for that :spit:
Up is difficult, down is dangerous

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

It's pretty common to run into a fair amount of blowdown here. I'd carry my Husky or at least my bow saw normally. Hell, I'd still carry the bow saw regardless. Way faster than a fucking axe if you want to actually get through something that's in the way, and it will work as long and as fast as your arms are good for. :lmao: