Slightly more offroad engine stand.

Discussion about building and equipping the workshop
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Slightly more offroad engine stand.

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

I need to be able to roll engines out to my garden shed, because storing them in the shop just doesn't work. Of course every engine stand ever made just has little bitty casters that sink into the ground immediately. So I figured I would mod one up a bit.

Mastercraft engine stand (was on sale, I wouldn't but this POS if it wasn't), two Princess Auto foam filled wheelbarrow tires, a new axle for them (5/8" cold rolled round bar), and a couple solid rubber casters... Unfortunately all the pneumatic casters they had just seemed to be junk, so this was the best I could do.

Does it work? I'll find out tomorrow. Might need to space the engine out a bit more so the weight it more on the tires, but I think it should be fine.
Attachments
20190930_192223.jpg
20190930_192214.jpg

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Re: Slightly more offroad engine stand.

Post by pointsnorth »

This is exactly how they should come standard everytime i need to move anything around the shop i curse to stupid wheel that everything comes standard with.

replacing my transmission jack caster wheels this week as the caster brackets bent when i left a g5600 six speed on it over night.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

It's stupid how basically everything comes with undersized or underrated casters. But good ones are expensive... However the foam filled wheelbarrow tires aren't. :lmao:

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

I have a pretty steady supply of free off-road carts and wheels around my place. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

Im torn to keep the other big "cart" I have as the present parts washer as its nice for just filling with stuff and wheeling it outside for washing . but with a few mods would make a nice cutting/plasma table. :lmao: :lmao:

of course someone was nice enough too leave me one of those new one with the top shelve bottom shelve setup with would make a minty plasma Cutting table with a smaller cutting surface

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Slightly over 1 year update. The Princess Auto "foam filled" tires went flat. I don't know what sort of foam they filled them with but they did not stand up to a 5.3 being on the stand.

Hopefully PA will give me credit or something. It's over a year, but these tires did not work at all. And they were more money than they should have been.

That said, it still rolled amazingly well despite that. :lmao:
Attachments
20201211_173337.jpg

Muckin_Slusher
Forum Newbie
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Muckin_Slusher »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:38 pm Slightly over 1 year update. The Princess Auto "foam filled" tires went flat. I don't know what sort of foam they filled them with but they did not stand up to a 5.3 being on the stand.

Hopefully PA will give me credit or something. It's over a year, but these tires did not work at all. And they were more money than they should have been.

That said, it still rolled amazingly well despite that. :lmao:
Hindsight and all that, but they'd probably still be fine if you had put blocks under them. Usually wheelbarrows aren't stationary with a heavy load for a year...

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Yeah. I hadn't really intended to leave the engine on it that long either.

I might just buy some cheap ones and get Kal Tire to fill them with their foam for the $40 or whatever it is. That stuff won't fail.

Muckin_Slusher
Forum Newbie

Post by Muckin_Slusher »

I was talking with a guy that wanted to make a bulletproof axle for his dock. Something to just wheel the dock in and out of the lake at the start/end of the season.

I suggested a very sloppy axle, like 2 inch pipe inside a 3 inch pipe.

For the tires I suggested starting with whatever junkyard tires/rims he could get. Holesaw a 2 inch hole in the sidewall and fill with concrete and vibrate. They would literally last 100 years I think.

You could do the same I suppose.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

That might be a little too heavy. :lmao:

But totally not a bad idea for stuff you're not pushing around by hand.

Muckin_Slusher
Forum Newbie

Post by Muckin_Slusher »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:49 pm That might be a little too heavy. :lmao:

But totally not a bad idea for stuff you're not pushing around by hand.
Hey, you wanted more stability. Win/win. :stirpot:

arse_sidewards
Forum Addict
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 17 times

Post by arse_sidewards »

All my shitboxes are 5x100 and I have a plethora of 5x100 rims and tires around. So when I decide shit needs real wheels it gets a Pontiac vibe rear wheel bearing and a donut tire from one of my shitboxes. They're heavy but since they roll it doesn't really matter.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

I had a bunch of cherokee donut spares and I was saving them to do something like that. Half dead XJ unit bearings are fairly plentiful. But I tossed a lot of that crap in one of the many great cleanups.

Muckin_Slusher
Forum Newbie

Post by Muckin_Slusher »

arse_sidewards wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:43 am All my shitboxes are 5x100 and I have a plethora of 5x100 rims and tires around. So when I decide shit needs real wheels it gets a Pontiac vibe rear wheel bearing and a donut tire from one of my shitboxes. They're heavy but since they roll it doesn't really matter.
Are those unit bearings?

I have an aluminum 4x8 trailer that I used an upside-down pontiac 6000 rear axle for. I went through a shitload of unit bearings on that thing and finally swapped out to rubber torsion stubby axles.

You're probably not talking trailers though.

arse_sidewards
Forum Addict
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 17 times

Post by arse_sidewards »

Yeah it's a unit bearing. I just use them for carts and stands and whatnot. I have real axles for trailers.
6087-58800A.jpeg