Brush cutters/brush saws

Discussion about building and equipping the workshop
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Brush cutters/brush saws

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Going to have to do a little trail clearing this summer.

Anyone have one, or used one around here? What works, what doesn't?

How thick of stuff can a mid range brush saw go through? Something like a Stihl FS131 or Husqvarna 336FR?

Anyone tried the Milwaukee M18 version? It looks like it *should* be able to do similar to the above ones. I've already got lots of batteries and it is about the same price as the ones I mentioned above.

Or do you just have to man up and spend $1400+ on a Husky 545FX or you'll hate life?

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Re: Brush cutters/brush saws

Post by Scoobienorth »

My buddy has a stihl pole saw that works well. Think it’s about 10 feet long and I’m not sure on the motor size. It’s really handy for trail clearing though

Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Post by Snowracer »

:flipoff:

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Snowracer wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:06 pm :flipoff:

Somebody actually recommended that on Facebook and they weren't trying to be funny. I had to post a video of what we're up against. :homer:

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:53 pm Somebody actually recommended that on Facebook and they weren't trying to be funny. I had to post a video of what we're up against. :homer:
better yet just invite Brad to come with the Welfare as he sure does love to go loggin in that thing :lmao:

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

for the prices of the models you listed id be tempted to by some cheap ass gas weed wacker and put a real bade on it. might not be as good quality but are you going to use it at home to be able to justify the price?

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Snowracer wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:11 pm for the prices of the models you listed id be tempted to by some cheap ass gas weed wacker and put a real bade on it. might not be as good quality but are you going to use it at home to be able to justify the price?
They have a different head style to stop you from doing that, not to say you can't get an adapter... I'm not sure if the results would be worth it or not, you really want it to have enough power to make it cut well, and it sounds like there's an additional clutch mechanism in the actual brush saws to limit damage when you hit something solid. I don't know if it would be adequate or something you'd just fight with constantly.

I could justify to myself buying the Milfuckee electric shit because I would use it around the house a bunch, the brush I have to clear regularly would definitely be handled by it, and I already have batteries. The trimmer I have is thrashed and I put off using it because of that. I've become a fan of certain electric tools and equipment on the basis of not having to perform any sort of servicing on them or keep gas around that is mixed correctly and not stale. That said, I know it doesn't have a ton of jam, and won't run well with continuous tooth sawblade type blades, it uses a special lightened blade for a reason. It also might be a bad way to spend money regardless, because I could do like you say and buy another cheap gasser and it would probably be great for 5+ years with minimal annoyance.

If I bought an expensive "pro" type brush saw I'd intend to resell it later. Which is somewhat stupid, but it's probably cheaper than renting one. It comes down to if the performance is that much better, meaning you can get way more done with less hassle, and then if you can resell it for most of what you paid. Also is if I'm going to do this a bunch this year and then never again, which I don't know the answer to.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Scoobienorth wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:19 pm My buddy has a stihl pole saw that works well. Think it’s about 10 feet long and I’m not sure on the motor size. It’s really handy for trail clearing though
A few guys recommend those, but I'm not sure it's the best option for what we're going up against. Another guy swore by a pro grade hedge trimmer, which might work well too. But really you're trying to cut the crap off at the ground level mostly, and hopefully that takes out the stuff that's growing in overhead at the same time, so the brush saw seems the easiest on the back.

I really don't know though. All I've used before is a chainsaw, which is okay other than being bent over to cut it low, and if there's just too much small stuff it plugs up and tosses the chain.

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:30 pm
Snowracer wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:11 pm for the prices of the models you listed id be tempted to by some cheap ass gas weed wacker and put a real bade on it. might not be as good quality but are you going to use it at home to be able to justify the price?
They have a different head style to stop you from doing that, not to say you can't get an adapter... I'm not sure if the results would be worth it or not, you really want it to have enough power to make it cut well, and it sounds like there's an additional clutch mechanism in the actual brush saws to limit damage when you hit something solid. I don't know if it would be adequate or something you'd just fight with constantly.

I could justify to myself buying the Milfuckee electric shit because I would use it around the house a bunch, the brush I have to clear regularly would definitely be handled by it, and I already have batteries. The trimmer I have is thrashed and I put off using it because of that. I've become a fan of certain electric tools and equipment on the basis of not having to perform any sort of servicing on them or keep gas around that is mixed correctly and not stale. That said, I know it doesn't have a ton of jam, and won't run well with continuous tooth sawblade type blades, it uses a special lightened blade for a reason. It also might be a bad way to spend money regardless, because I could do like you say and buy another cheap gasser and it would probably be great for 5+ years with minimal annoyance.

If I bought an expensive "pro" type brush saw I'd intend to resell it later. Which is somewhat stupid, but it's probably cheaper than renting one. It comes down to if the performance is that much better, meaning you can get way more done with less hassle, and then if you can resell it for most of what you paid. Also is if I'm going to do this a bunch this year and then never again, which I don't know the answer to.
kinda sounds like you should just get the m18 butt fucking then :rainbow:

can rent one for $80 a day. might be worth getting a few guys to pitch in and spend a weekend clearing trail

https://www.pgrentalcentre.com/equipmen ... 6&key=1422

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Snowracer wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:43 pm kinda sounds like you should just get the m18 butt fucking then :rainbow:

can rent one for $80 a day. might be worth getting a few guys to pitch in and spend a weekend clearing trail

https://www.pgrentalcentre.com/equipmen ... 6&key=1422
You should try the M18 gayness, you won't go back. :flipoff:

I will point out my M18 saw ran fine at the top of Baldy when everyone else couldn't get theirs to start. :lmao:

The $80/day rental seems cheap, but I'm not sure. I guess if we rented 5 of them and all hit it on one weekend and got it done it would be a good deal, but I suspect this will be more like 5 or 6 different weekends, and a few random days here and there, or something like that, in which case you're easily at $800+ to rent one saw. You're half way to buying one then. Buuuut, I don't know, if that $80 has a new blade in it every time then there's some value there too.

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

hate to say it but i got rid of my red tools and went full orange and very happy with them and actually seem to be holding up better :homer:

you are not wrong that if its more then a 1 weekend deal and rental fees would be a killer pretty quick.

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

how about this sweet deal? booty fab an ankle killer blade on it ? :devil:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/17-in-4 ... 0008751745

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Snowracer wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:44 pm how about this sweet deal? booty fab an ankle killer blade on it ? :devil:

The good news is I know all the paramedics in town that would likely be responding to the call, so I could prep them on what the extent of my injuries would likely be and ensure they have enough AB- blood on them prior to heading out for a day of using that death trap. :rasta:

That's actually an amazing deal though. Put a 14" chop saw blade on it and *maybe* a better guard and I bet it would mangle things impressively fast.

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:55 pm
Snowracer wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:44 pm how about this sweet deal? booty fab an ankle killer blade on it ? :devil:

The good news is I know all the paramedics in town that would likely be responding to the call, so I could prep them on what the extent of my injuries would likely be and ensure they have enough AB- blood on them prior to heading out for a day of using that death trap. :rasta:

That's actually an amazing deal though. Put a 14" chop saw blade on it and *maybe* a better guard and I bet it would mangle things impressively fast.
:lmao:

would do a good heavy guard for sure and i feel like that would get the job done

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Why rent for $80/day when you can buy this sweet rig for only $300?

It even comes with all the safety gear!

:homer: