Eyeing up welders - is the blue paint worth it?

Discussion about building and equipping the workshop
Joe_the_ice_man
Forum Addict
Has Liked: 41 times
Been Liked: 27 times

Post by Joe_the_ice_man »

To all the welding pros out there, what do you run for welders? You like it? Not? Brand comparison?

To me it looks like blue or red paint makes a welder cost more for less value.

I've been eyeing up ESAB and Everlast. It looks like you can pick one up for less than a used comparable Miller, or about the same as a comparable Lincoln.
'89 Sami 2.3,03-72LE - The Corona Wagon [url]https://forum.4x4north.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=216[/url]

'87 Sami, stockish drivetrain with CJ5 springs - Another unfinished Sami - find it yourself :razz:

'53 Willys CJ3b Buick 225,sm465,Dana 18,Dana 44s

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by pointsnorth »

Maybe ten years ago it would of made a difference. A lot of these smaller companies have really stepped up their game. It really comes down to just making sure your getting the options and features you want.
I’ve run red and blue with no preference. But I do take into account what is locally available for parts and consumables.

I’ve seen one of those esab multi process welders in action and it’s great but at that time the nearest supplier for parts was fours hours away

I’ve looked at the everlast plasmas cutters as they have great reviews. But by the time I get the one I want it’s the same price as a hypertherm/miller and the consumables are in stock locally.

Added bonus for me anyways is praxair will deliver to my door parts and consumables for any equipment they sell me

Just my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helidump
Forum Addict
Been Liked: 1 time

Re: Eyeing up welders - is the blue paint worth it?

Post by Helidump »

I’m a spectacularly shitty welder and I dont know much but looking around at different machines it seems like more money just gets you a bit more duty cycle, more gee whiz electronics and marginally better accessories , not to mention bragging rights on the facetube. The blue vs red vs whatever is pretty much a preference at this point. Theres too much bro science involved in the big debate between the big brands. For the home gamer and most 4x4 fabricators I don’t think it really matters all that much as long as it does everything you need it to and it doesnt cost an arm and a dick. I know since I bought my welder 7 years ago the prices have gone up astronomically, to the point where the orange chicken and lo mein specials are looking pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HillBilt
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by HillBilt »

Echoing the same as Poinstnorth, but saying that, I am a Miller Fan Boy.
I would go by what welding process you plan on using, or wanting to use and start from there. Stay away from the ching chong weldy wire machines and go with decent name brand ones. The multi-process machines like the ESAB Rebel have come a long ways and can now get one unit to do it all, find something that fits the budget and start welding. :smokin:
Building Junk-Wheeling Junk-Breaking Junk

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

I had a dilemma of the ESAB Rebel vs the Miller Multimatic. Feature/price wise they were fairly similar, the ESAB did a few more things that would be nice, duty cycle is similar, the Miller was actually less money due to rebates/etc.

Ultimately it was solved by just asking the KMS counter guy what they sold more of and what came back. He said they sold plenty of ESAB, although not as many as the Miller, but the ESAB came back for warranty or issues at a way higher rate than the Miller, and there was issues getting anyone to do the repairs. So I stuck with Miller.

That said, it sounds like Everlast has their shit together... Sounds like it at least.

Definitely phone around though and see what you can get for pricing before buying. Welders are an item where there is room for the dealers to work, and some of them will.

arse_sidewards
Forum Addict
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 17 times

Post by arse_sidewards »

I don't weld for my day job but I've used all sorts of welders and I like my AD/DC Dayton enough that I have exactly zero-desire to re-assemble the DC tombstone I pulled apart for a switch replacement. I wouldn't worry about what color the paint is.