LED lighting

Discussion about building and equipping the workshop
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 47 times

LED lighting

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Currently I have 3 of the 8' style 4 bulb T5HO fixtures in my shop, plus some cheap Amazon LEDs around the perimeter. The bulbs in the T5HO fixtures are original and have hit the end of their effective life.

Is there any affordable LED fixtures that actually perform the same or better than the T5HOs? I've been holding off buying new bulbs in hope there is, but it seems nothing actually touches the T5HO for total lumens, plus the spectrum on the T5HO is pretty decent (maybe LEDs are better in that regard?)

For anyone that's never seen a T5HO, they're nothing like a T8 or T12 fixture as far as brightness and spectrum goes.

Provience
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 2 times

Re: LED lighting

Post by Provience »

good because T8's suck absolute dick.

our shop has finally switched all the way over to 4' LED bulbs. the only thing weird about them, maybe just ours particularly, is that they are only half lit. the back half is for the wire/cruicuit/whatever. but because they are in the same flourescent fixtures, the pins are sideways :homer: so we point some left, some right and try to balance it out.

anyways, they work and are decent but not what i would call great unless the only concern is wattage used
Up is difficult, down is dangerous

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Yeah, any of the drop in replacement LED "bulbs" are crap from a performance standpoint. I have no interest in that.

A LED is only a little more efficient than the T5HO, but they do make more light in colder temperatures. I have to keep the shop above 60* F for them to work right. Which isn't a big deal normally, it's only annoying if I'm leaving it cold and just go out for the odd job and don't have the heat on.

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

interesting to hear that they are sensitive to the cold and 60* doesn't even sound particularly cold especially from an electronics stance.

i'm interested to see what you come up with and how it works out.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by pointsnorth »

I’ve got the Nightrider LEDs jk coming in for another round of upgrades soon. I could ask them for info n upgrades. I know they sell tube lighting but you to modify your fixtures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Provience wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:41 am interesting to hear that they are sensitive to the cold and 60* doesn't even sound particularly cold especially from an electronics stance.

The gas in them runs a lot higher temperature than the older T8s or T12s. The problem is that they're really efficient, so they don't make enough heat to warm the gas up if it's cold. It's not like the annoying flicker bullshit or complete failure to start, like you'd get with other fluorescent lights, but they're just not as bright as normal or it may take some time (15+ minutes) to get up to full brightness.

HMF
Forum Addict
Been Liked: 9 times

Post by HMF »

I bought a few of those pannel lights from Costco the thin flat ones they are the tits but about 100 per light. I have 3 above the bay door as clearance is tight when it's up. Debating on changing the others out for them as well

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:43 am
Provience wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:41 am interesting to hear that they are sensitive to the cold and 60* doesn't even sound particularly cold especially from an electronics stance.

The gas in them runs a lot higher temperature than the older T8s or T12s. The problem is that they're really efficient, so they don't make enough heat to warm the gas up if it's cold. It's not like the annoying flicker bullshit or complete failure to start, like you'd get with other fluorescent lights, but they're just not as bright as normal or it may take some time (15+ minutes) to get up to full brightness.
oh hell, that sounds like a deal that is worthwhile.

I don't even shut off the lights in my garage :homer: they are shit ass old flouressencets and take a while to do anything, if they do anything, so i just leave those fuckers on.