Tire pig

Discussion about building and equipping the workshop
pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Tire pig

Post by pointsnorth »

Not sure what everyone else calls them but Ive always called it a pig. You know one of those air tanks with a short hose good for filling a tire enough to get it closer to the shop where you can get an air line to it. Anyways I haven't been able to find mine for a while, like probably a year. Most likely someone swung by the house while I was gone and promised the wife they would bring it right back. so for me spring cleaning usually involves shuffling and even loading a few wrecks to haul for scrap and i was needing a pig to fill tires. decided to build my own as i had the tank and most the fitting in the brass bins.

a scuba tank and a few fittings and hose and this is what it came up with

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Re: Tire pig

Post by pointsnorth »

benefits of my setup
-fills to 150 in about 3 seconds unlike the store bought ones that take minutes
-most store bought ones leak somewhere in the hose. this so far with the hose disconnected has held pressure over several hours
- tank is good to over 2200 psi now to figure out a way to put that much in it

Joe_the_ice_man
Forum Addict
Has Liked: 41 times
Been Liked: 27 times

Re: Tire pig

Post by Joe_the_ice_man »

pointsnorth wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:33 am Not sure what everyone else calls them but Ive always called it a pig.
X2 on the pig

That's perty creative. As for 2200+ PSI, I assume a scuba shop is out of the question? I guess it's inconvenient and at $10 a fill (If i remember correctly) it would get expensive.
'89 Sami 2.3,03-72LE - The Corona Wagon [url]https://forum.4x4north.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=216[/url]

'87 Sami, stockish drivetrain with CJ5 springs - Another unfinished Sami - find it yourself :razz:

'53 Willys CJ3b Buick 225,sm465,Dana 18,Dana 44s