Ultra cheap welder cart

Discussion about building and equipping the workshop
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Ultra cheap welder cart

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

So, I bought a new welder because things, and like, I wanted it. It's a Multimatic 220.

It didn't fit the old cart though. And the old cart had its downsides. So I figured I'd zap something together and see if it's to my liking or not.

The rack thing to hold the leads on the top of it might need some tweaking. Actually I'm going to try to find some rubber balls to put on the ends of it, it's perfect height to trip and take your eye out. :eeks:

One thing I don't like is the regulators stick out a ways. I'd like to pick up a bigger bottle of C25 (or maybe less CO2 than that, one reason I don't like the small bottles is you can't get anything but C25 or pure argon, nothing between) and then the regulator could be spun towards the machine, which would solve that. We'll see.

The brackets that centers the bottles also does okay at holding some TIG filler rod. In retrospect I should have made these brackets bigger so I could stuff a ton of it in there. I might strap some ABS/PVC pipe on the side somewhere to hold more, we'll see.

The drawers have more than enough space for accessories.

It will either be a work in progress and slowly improved, or I'll fucking hate it and somebody will have the chance to pick up a weird welding cart for cheap. :lmao:

Provience
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 2 times

Re: Ultra cheap welder cart

Post by Provience »

welding cabinet, solid idea.

hell, my weld cart is one of those super cheap chinese horrible freight dual level push carts.

it is absolute balls to use, but i can put my mig on the bottom and tig on the top and roll it easily out of the way.

thrift store cabinet is a way better idea and probably just as cheap
Up is difficult, down is dangerous

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

I had it sitting on one of those tiered carts, and I debated just leaving it like that. Ultimately I like having things in drawers, it keeps the grinder dust from building up as bad. This is a little sturdier in the base than one of those carts too, they're flimsy at best. And you can get decent used filing cabinets for free, or pretty near free, nobody really wants them anymore.

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

This is what the worlds worst welding cart looks like :laughing: anything with a flat top would be 10x better
IMG_3014.JPG

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

take special note of the ever important 'cardboard box' that is required to keep the connectors away from the lip of the cart :flipoff:

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Did you know you can take the top tray off those and install it upside down? Instant flat top cart. :homer:

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

if i install it upside down, then i won't be able to hold my wire next to my machine :flipoff:

full disclosure, the cart was already together when i got the tig welder to go on top of it. #Repurposed. never considered flipping the top box around :laughing:

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Provience wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:30 pm if i install it upside down, then i won't be able to hold my wire next to my machine :flipoff:
:lmao:

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by pointsnorth »

The old crappy red cart it’s a universal shop tool, doesn’t seem to matter where you live somebody will sell you one of those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Provience
Actually Wheels

Post by Provience »

pointsnorth wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:36 pm The old crappy red cart it’s a universal shop tool, doesn’t seem to matter where you live somebody will sell you one of those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
they should really raise the price on these things so that people won't buy them :laughing: upcycled trash cabinets look so much more useful

HillBilt
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by HillBilt »

Scott, your shop is way too clean :flipoff: Great idea and execution on the cart
Building Junk-Wheeling Junk-Breaking Junk