2020 Insanity Fab Winter Challenge Prep

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Re: 2020 Insanity Fab Winter Challenge Prep

Post by pointsnorth »

Cell service and wifi was crap as per usual in the US. Add on the 26 inches of wet snow in less than 24 hours has caused havoc on the roads. We have rolled just into Kelowna as of Monday night. Once we all get home Snowracer and hillbilt will do a better job of filling everyone in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Post by Scoobienorth »

Oh man. If you just got to kelowna that sucks. We got hit with a ton of snow and the cold spell flash froze the roads. It’s nasty out that way.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Anyone have anything left to wheel? Are you guys wheeling in the Okanagan? It’s killer snow. In Enderby/Shuswap I can’t even get to most of my wheeling areas with my 37’s now.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

pointsnorth wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:43 am Cell service and wifi was crap as per usual in the US. Add on the 26 inches of wet snow in less than 24 hours has caused havoc on the roads. We have rolled just into Kelowna as of Monday night. Once we all get home Snowracer and hillbilt will do a better job of filling everyone in.

Damn, didn't think of how much of a shitshow the weather has been affecting the travel time.

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

The plan was always too stay an extra day. And fordnando and welfare were late night recoveries so it was a good thing we stayed people got to sleep in and we got to visit with people. This year was a gongshow too lol

HillBilt
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by HillBilt »

Back home now, after driving some of the worst roads for me to date. Other than that the trip was awesome, with a great group. Here's a little race recap:
To start things off, this race originally was intended for "grass roots" racing, for the common Joe to get a taste of heads up racing in our trail rigs. I feel like this year, in the big tire class, it has surpassed that era, with the class having many HAVOC racers with $150k rigs over 1000hp, cut USD stickys and zero fucks, win or wad racing style. Unless changes are made, with class separations this will most likely be my last race. I had an blast racing along with some of the top racers in the PNW and I can tell everyone that I beat Justin Haft, last years Havoc Champ :pimp:

Heat 1:
11 on the line-top 6 advance. Flag drop and the 496 is pulling a short lead with 2 1000hp bouncers and my buddy Brad in his turbo'd LS Toy. Justin Haft is creeping over and hits us and we proceed to get pinballed by trucks as its a total white out. This was pretty damn scary and I thought we were done. After the dust settles were facing the opposite direction and I gassed it and caught back up to the group and made a few passes on the back strait. I realized the motor was pretty strong at this point. Hit Figgy Wiggy, the first rock section and my front locker is one tire fire/open diffing. We got hung up and codawg let me know over the head set. SHIT. Winch fest ensues. Get through it and around to the Undertaker. Its a shit show with guys hung up and winching. I knew my winch was pretty quick so got the front tires up and passed Barnyard on the winch. Sweet. We struggled with the front end for the most part and winched alot. Any chance I got at the undertaker if it was clear, I cold pick my line and usually make it up. Had a battery issue and the truck died. We figured the batteries were taxed from winching so often, so we were talking about calling it and were helping other racers get up the undertaker. Then Timber yells at me to check my leads. I jump up, loose! WTF, I had tightened the piss out of them. Boom it flashes up and I yelled at him to grab a 9/16 and meet us in the pits. Pulling into the pits, Timber went to work, got it tight and we pulled out. Felt like a real race car driver for a second :lmao: We took our time and had alot of fun, just out wheeling. we crossed the line 5th and made to the next heat.

Heat 2:
I dont remember how many started but was top 4 advance. I let the truck eat off the line but was over in new snow and got left behind in the back of the pack. We knew that we were going to struggle and be winching so the plan was to race our race, at our pace. One lap in and were making passes around rigs that where stuck and wadded up or rolled over. Work our way up to 3rd and crossed the line to advance. I was absolutely blown away with how hard some guys were going and just wadding shit up. Me and the codawg were just laughing watching some of these guys send it, to just wreck and then we would pass them. We even stopped to take a piss during the race, waiting for a trail jam to clear from rolled rigs :lmao:

Heat 3:
Finals. Started in the dusk, so knew we had a slight advantage as I have really good lighting compared to others with minimal lights. Flag drop, I let everyone go figuring it was just going to bottle neck at the first obstacle, which is what happened. At this point, my codawg was pretty beat and I was feeling pretty bad for him haha. Half way through the 2nd lap I slid sideways into a tree pretty hard and the passenger door caved right in and wouldnt open. I had to get out to help open the door each time for a winch. Coming around on the 3rd lap I told my codawg that if he wanted too, i would pull out, as it was getting pretty old with the door issue, and we were in last place, so we thought. We knew a few had broke and pulled off, but didnt realize we were in 3rd. One of the race officials, came to us while we were winching up the undertaker and told us we only needed to finish another lap to lock in 3rd place. defiantly lifted our spirits, so we pushed on at a snails pace to not break anything and crossed the line in 3rd out of 35 rigs.

Was a great time. Also, none of this could happen without the great friends and crew we have. Also Great to meet Sam and Rob from Quesnel and hang out. :canada: :canada: You guys did awesome. Those pizza bites were fawking deadly :smokin: Im looking forward to next year, where I can watch and help someone else destroy their rig hahaha
I have hardly any pictures, only video. Sorry. Im sure others will post up. If not look it up on FB, Instagram or youtube. Plenty there.
Building Junk-Wheeling Junk-Breaking Junk

HillBilt
Actually Wheels

Post by HillBilt »

Few photos that I have

HillBilt
Actually Wheels

Post by HillBilt »

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer

Post by pointsnorth »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

SasquatchCdn
Web Wheeler
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by SasquatchCdn »

That was a blast, I'm planning on going again next year, I'll be racing either the Hilux or the f-toy in the small tire class of course... The competition in the big tire class was rediculous, lol....

Rob took it pretty easy the whole time and didn't let the pressure get to him, we ended up finishing 5th in the main which we are both quite happy with all things considered.

Going into the first whole in the main we took a Gamble and tried to pass a couple rigs, we ended up getting stuck and having to winch through and then realized the front right tire wasn't turning.
We instantly assumed we'd broken a front shaft so we just raced in 3wd for the whole race. Turns out someone had gone around and turned a bunch of hubs out the night before.... There were 4 trucks in our class that I know of that had one hub unlocked... Kindoff a pissoff and impossible to track down who did it...

Congrats Jason on taking 3rd, that's a huge accomplishment considering the rigs you were up against.

And I guess better luck next year Brad and Erick.... Really sucks to go that far to break right away.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Post by Snowracer »

my race recap will be nice and short as so was my race :lmao:

lined up and was going to take it easy off the line but once we got out i couldnt see anything so layed into it as was already a head of a few rigs. all of a sudden we got hit by a big dirty blazer and the truck was 90 deg to the course and off the track sliding and just waiting for it to catch and flip up. got it back in control and actually caught up to the blazer that hit me and i passed him as was full of road rage and didnt lift. hit the first real obstical and one shot it nice and easy. Jordon and i where way out with few rigs ahead of us but rest of the pack left behind. i was still full of road rage and was driving a little more spicy then i should have been and slid in a corner and clipped a tree with drives front tire. next think i know i can steer and truck is doing its own thing, we made a few more corners and found a place to pull off the course. just as i got it off the course the rest of the racers showed up and pasted us. took a look and ripped the steering joint apart and that was the end of that. waited till the race was over and drove the truck off the course and back to camp, the tire not being held in place let the tire over steer and it busted the inner and outer axle shaft.

Jay and Kevin did a wicked job of racing smart and earned that trophy for sure. Sam and Rob did one of the best trail fixed ive seen when the steering box almost fell off and they still finished the heat :eeks:

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 139 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

That's a pissoff with the sabotage, but congrats to everyone for doing as good as you did!

Hopefully they can figure out some rule changes to keep things competitive for the regular people and get the $100k+ rigs in their own class.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

Thanks for the write up guys. The small tires class definitely looked more survivable as the big boys were definitely playing rough with some expensive iron. Jason definitely earned his and should be proud. The breakage and sabotage sucks. I’d like to see something done to split the groups up a bit. Especially with the Mickey Thompson 58’s coming and 50” sticky intercos.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels

Post by Scoobienorth »

To bad they didn’t have the snow like we got in the okanagan. That works have tanned things a bit.

SasquatchCdn
Web Wheeler
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by SasquatchCdn »

I think a three day race with a third class for unlimited rigs would make it better (over a certain HP? 46+ tires? Rear steer?)
Or maybe a 39.5-44 class?

As far as the sabotage goes, I'm over it, people suck. I don't think we would have done much better anyhow, probably would have pushed it more and broke the poor Dana 44 anyhow, lol.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk