Mt George area (spun off from other thread)

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Mt George area (spun off from other thread)

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

I figured I'd make a thread just for this because I plan to go back and wander around more.

So here's where it actually is (if you didn't read the other thread):
MtGeorge.png
I looked at getting to it from the actual access road, and it's grown up stupid bad (again, if you didn't read the other thread):
20220910_165556.jpg
So my next plan was to try to get there from some of the cutblocks off Stone Creek FSR. You can get here either from Willow-Cale or Stone Creek, doesn't matter, but you just drive Stone Creek to the end.

Those blocks:
Closeish.png

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Re: Mt George area (spun off from other thread)

So today I took a boot up there and made it to the yellow star on the other previous picture. It's grown up, but not too bad, just starting to get tight. I then walked up to the green flag at the top of that block. This took a lot of time, so I never wound up going up the road to the other blocks, but it is clearly there, albeit grown up a bit worse.

What's in that first cutblock is somewhat interesting.
Close.png
It's a bunch of rocks.
20220927_152454.jpg
20220927_151114.jpg
And yup, they're there, the brush has started to grow up and it's a bitch to walk around with all the trees down, but there clearly would be some flat nasty lines through this if you wanted.

This is at the top of the ridge looking over to the next cutblocks (that I didn't go to):
20220927_153640.jpg
It looks like there's a drainage/gulch/whatever heading down that way to the road, I think you could pop over the top and down if you wanted. Bunch of rocks there too, brush is just hiding them.

That's Mt George, the peak between the trees in the middle of frame:
20220927_153829.jpg
The repeater site should be pretty much on the top far side of it. I do hope to get there to check it out eventually.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Some of these rock formations are very hard to scale in the pictures. No real reference.

This one is taller than me:
20220927_160158.jpg
These are a series of drops that are all 3-4 feet each:
20220927_154422.jpg
Do you see my JK?
20220927_154621.jpg

Anyway, I walked only a little of it, had the wrong shoes and none of my proper hiking gear, but I think it's worth checking out again to see if a guy could carve out an interesting trail through that cutblock. You might be able to go over the ridge, or onto it and around also.

I'll also go back and check the other cutblocks out at some point.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

I also have to give credit where credit is due. I was planning to go up here when I got the time (Mt George being the goal), but Rodney from the Bearded Boggers FB group went up first because he'd seen the rocks on Google maps. I prioritized looking myself after he sent me a short video, which also didn't really show any scale.

Somebody needs to wander around there a bit and smash a line in. There's a few good places to dump your tow rig farther down the road too.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Also, forgot to post, part of my interest in trying to get to the top of Mt George is there is an old repeater or some other site there.

Bing has a surprisingly good image of it. No idea how old the image is or if anything is there anymore.
RepeaterMtGeorge.png
RepeaterMtGeorge.png (664.41 KiB) Viewed 3370 times

Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Post by Snowracer »

this looks very promising and cant wait to check it out, even if thats next year at this point :rolleyes:

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Snowracer wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:09 pm this looks very promising and cant wait to check it out, even if thats next year at this point :rolleyes:
You know late fall is the best time to smash a line in, since the leaves are falling off all the scrub brush. :poke:

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:15 pm
Snowracer wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:09 pm this looks very promising and cant wait to check it out, even if thats next year at this point :rolleyes:
You know late fall is the best time to smash a line in, since the leaves are falling off all the scrub brush. :poke:
by time im wheeling there will be waste deep snow up there :headbang:

but if you need a bad spotter in the jeep im great at pointing at the hardest line and calling you puss till you do it :devil:

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Snowracer wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:15 am
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:15 pm
by time im wheeling there will be waste deep snow up there :headbang:

but if you need a bad spotter in the jeep im great at pointing at the hardest line and calling you puss till you do it :devil:
I think we need at least a couple running rigs for that to be even a remotely good idea. :lmao:

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

keep looking at google as the cut block on the other side of Mount George looks really interesting

the white dot is where you went (your yellow dot above)

kinda looks like there is a road/trail to it as well. kinda got google maps to give me an idea, can get there from the Willow Thursday Creek road (white pin is the cut block im talking about)

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

I'm not sure how badly grown up it will be on that side. All the Google imagery is old, 10-15 years possibly, and the Bing stuff has a giant cloud over the whole area. :lmao:

This bridge is missing:
missingbridge.png
Which means there likely won't have been anyone driving any of it to kill the brush before it got big.

Bridge is where I put the half circle in blue:
edited.jpg
edited.jpg (188.05 KiB) Viewed 3306 times
I think you totally could ford that, as long as it isn't spring time. Which would be interesting.

Here's another pitch, follow that drainage I circled in red to get over the top and to that side. You'd obviously have to selectively remove some dead and non-marketable danger trees to do it, all within the confines of the law, but it might not be too bad. Getting into the top of those blocks might not be as overgrown, just because it's high enough.

I think ultimately the area I circled in yellow is where there is far more rock. It might just be too steep to manage. Again, obviously you'd have to do a little bit of work to get in there.

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:15 am This bridge is missing:
missingbridge.png
thats half the fun :devil:

but ya its really hard to say how bad the road there is as just over here web wheeling :rolleyes:

will have to check out that area for sure once i get the truck done and can start exploring as the potential looks very promising in both those yellow and red circles you have there

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

I'll try to go for a poke from the far side one of these days. Just to see how bad the lack of bridge is, and if there's even a distinguishable road on the other side still.

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:03 am I'll try to go for a poke from the far side one of these days. Just to see how bad the lack of bridge is, and if there's even a distinguishable road on the other side still.
should plan a stocker with no lockers day as im down for scouting in the daily super poopy

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Snowracer wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:09 am
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:03 am I'll try to go for a poke from the far side one of these days. Just to see how bad the lack of bridge is, and if there's even a distinguishable road on the other side still.
should plan a stocker with no lockers day as im down for scouting in the daily super poopy
I'm stuck working the next couple weeks, but down after that. We'll see when it starts snowing...