So, what is interesting around PG (besides Baldy)

Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Re: So, what is interesting around PG (besides Baldy)

Post by Snowracer »

:headbang: those all look like some good trails to check out and making me wish i had something to wheel right now

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

there is always the beehive burner trail down Mcbride Timber, can cross the river there and come out at Clear Lake then back into town on the Pelican road. its not crazy had but has a few fun spots, was able to get the rust runner and the jeep grand through there on 31s.

can also do Beaverly to Miworth and that can give you a good challenge as been getting pretty chewed out by the sxs crowd. it more of a mud trail (not mud holes but just muddy) but has some technical hills and spots so id say 33s and winch needed for sure

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:14 am
Johnny5 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:59 pm Just went up baldy last weekend and noticed a lot of growth starting to cover some trails. The loop back down just before it gets narly is almost impossible to see.
There’s a lot of trails we have found but most won’t fit trucks
Umm... What's the loop? Because either I've missed it, or something, or it is just straight up grown up enough to not see unless you know it's there. Sam and friends from Quesnel cut some new bonus lines in and such, they're not very established yet, but the main trail is pretty obvious. It's a little odd at the top that the trail just ends... No obvious loop back or turnaround even. :laughing: I mean, you can do that, but you'd think somebody would have done it enough times to have it make sense.

There's a ridge from the top, going northwest, that might be worth driving out to. Also, dropping off one of the sides and into one of the other cutblocks, or coming up from one of them, could be interesting.
think hes talking about the lower loop. when you turn left up the hill to head to into the trees there is a trial straight ahead that is a loop and brings you back about half way down the hill.

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Post by Scoobienorth »

Snowracer wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:39 pm :headbang: those all look like some good trails to check out and making me wish i had something to wheel right now
I’ll sell you both my grand Cherokees cheap. One runs well. The other is a project. But I know you like projects. Can even sell the 37” milestar.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Snowracer wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:39 pm :headbang: those all look like some good trails to check out and making me wish i had something to wheel right now
Yeah, I think if I scout a few more spots along that little range there has to be some viable entry points. I want to see how close I can get to Mt George too, somebody on the Jeep club page said they wanted to try going up one of the other cutblocks and hiking in. I'm not big on walking. :laughing: But if it's not too overgrown one could see if there's a workable line through it, even if the odd tree needs to be cut.
Snowracer wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:50 pm
Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:14 am
Johnny5 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:59 pm Just went up baldy last weekend and noticed a lot of growth starting to cover some trails. The loop back down just before it gets narly is almost impossible to see.
There’s a lot of trails we have found but most won’t fit trucks
Umm... What's the loop? Because either I've missed it, or something, or it is just straight up grown up enough to not see unless you know it's there. Sam and friends from Quesnel cut some new bonus lines in and such, they're not very established yet, but the main trail is pretty obvious. It's a little odd at the top that the trail just ends... No obvious loop back or turnaround even. :laughing: I mean, you can do that, but you'd think somebody would have done it enough times to have it make sense.

There's a ridge from the top, going northwest, that might be worth driving out to. Also, dropping off one of the sides and into one of the other cutblocks, or coming up from one of them, could be interesting.
think hes talking about the lower loop. when you turn left up the hill to head to into the trees there is a trial straight ahead that is a loop and brings you back about half way down the hill.
Oh, I saw that but we didn't hit it. I didn't realize it would loop back, figured it would just go to the end and terminate.

Those Quesnel boys were screwing around in another area lower down too, but I'm not going to say where for certain reasons. I don't know if they got through it to be able to link up with that lower loop or anything else.

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:47 pm
Oh, I saw that but we didn't hit it. I didn't realize it would loop back, figured it would just go to the end and terminate.
its not really hard just lots of washed out spots so can flex out on

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

if you are in the Baldy area you can also run the Government lake loop. once again not hard or even that long of a trail but pretty much the trail below baldy so its right here

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Snowracer wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:51 am if you are in the Baldy area you can also run the Government lake loop. once again not hard or even that long of a trail but pretty much the trail below baldy so its right here
That's what's labelled the Government Creek FSR on Google?
GovernLake.jpg
Can you run the trail from the pin that is where guys unload/leave their tow rig for Baldy? Is there a way through?

Or do you take the red way in and then the yellow?
GovernLakeTrail.jpg

Purple is something I want to look at... If you could go up/down there you could turn Baldy into a big loop back to where you started if you wanted, especially if that Government Lake trail adds some more scenery/interest to it.

Edit, I really should have used a fatter marker to colour the roads on that. :laughing:

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Anyone else bored of looking at shitty crops of Google Maps? No? GOOD!

I tried to get to Spring Mountain from the west side. I'd say this was mostly a failure. Maybe.
WansaFSRSpringMtn.jpg
The road marked in orange was the route I intended to take. But, it's grown up, no tire tracks, nothing. I would suspect the bridge where I put the star is pulled, and thus nobody drove on it after that. Otherwise people would have at least kept something of a quad track beat down, or something, but there's just nothing, even though the road right of way is clear as day. I did not drive down it at all because again, JK, it's my daily, I do need it to get to work.

I did run out the Wansa FSR since I was there though, and that was somewhat promising. The red star is the cutblock I mentioned being able to access before from a road off Coalmine FSR, but didn't go to it because of a bridge missing (but it's totally doable, just need somebody with me and not my stock JK).

The one pin farthest to the right is in the middle of nothing, but the imagery is just old, that is a cutblock now. I scraped through a bunch of deactivations to get that far and said fuck it, because the road actually turns downhill at that point and not up. I could see the skidder trail/old road that was used to log the block above there, but it was grown up, you could smash it down with something but there wouldn't be any point.

The other one was more interesting. I drove to the point that I stopped colouring it red. It is totally stock JK friendly-ish-enough road to that point. Then I hiked to the top of the cutblock (in yellow) because I wanted to see what I could see, or if there was anything behind it. Keep in mind I didn't intend to come here, so I didn't really look at the imagery here before and had no idea what to expect.

You can see my JK way down there:
20220908_150148.jpg
There is skidder trail here, that is fairly clear of crap:
20220908_145659.jpg
This is what's at the termination (top) of the cutblock:
20220908_144909.jpg
I didn't take a good picture of what's going on there... But I'll explain more in the next post.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

So, why I think this is potentially interesting, and I'm kicking myself for not walking farther...

The trees up here probably are thin enough you could pick your way through them with only having to take a few out. And, there was clearly exposed rocks in some places.
WansaFSRSpringMtnBIG.jpg
Obviously I'm just drawing lines on shit when who knows. But if I had realized it I would have walked that direction.

Maybe something like this is partially possible?
WansaFSRSpringMtnMaybe.jpg
Probably not. But eh. I think it's worth going back and going for a walk again. Spring Mountain itself is much less steep on it's west side from what I can tell, looking at it from the east was rather daunting.

Also, because I mean to post it but didn't, this is what that road (in orange) I didn't drive down looked like:
20220908_155909.jpg
No tracks, nothing, nobody has even walked it recently. So I didn't, because it was going to beat my daily up, or I was going to find a hole the wrong way. If I'm back with more time, or with the XJ, I will walk it or drive it.

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:54 pm
GovernLakeTrail.jpg

Purple is something I want to look at... If you could go up/down there you could turn Baldy into a big loop back to where you started if you wanted, especially if that Government Lake trail adds some more scenery/interest to it.

Edit, I really should have used a fatter marker to colour the roads on that. :laughing:
kinda hard to tell on your picture but is the first turn off if coming from Stone creek fsr heading to Baldy

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

I did some running around a few days ago looking at some of the stuff I'd mentioned before.

This is what the start of the road up Mt George looks like:
20220910_165556.jpg
So yeah, Kim wasn't joking, she's grown up bad. I'll have to see about an alternate entrance.

The ones I'd pinned off Narrow Lake FSR are like this:
20220910_161658.jpg
20220910_161135.jpg
20220910_161034.jpg
I think you could romp through them if you wanted, but again, not with your daily driver. I was going to walk them but was way behind on time. I really think there is rock up there. The cutblock you can see in the one image is showing some, and it's low compared with the other blocks.

I can confirm that the Coalmine FSR does still go through. I didn't drive it but I looked at the other end. They had brushed it. So maybe I'll drive through it some day, but it's probably pretty boring unless you wanted to go that way anyway.

Anyway, maybe as the leaves drop more things will become apparent.

Snowracer
Actually Wheels

Post by Snowracer »

is that a crapper on the side of the road in the first road?

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Snowracer wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:18 pm is that a crapper on the side of the road in the first road?
Some sort of comms shack or something. Didn't really investigate, but possibly related to whatever was (or still is) at the top. Not a crapper though, sorry to let you down. :lmao: There's a 100K liter diesel tank on the right, just out of frame, logging contractors using it I guess?

SasquatchCdn
Web Wheeler
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by SasquatchCdn »

Scott, we made it 1/3 of the way through that new trail, another day of cutting and it'll connect up to the main trail.

The lower loop up baldy is pretty light duty, just a bunch of deactivation.

Its a but of a ways from PG but there's a ton of wicked scenic wheeling trails out around barkerville/likely area.

Another cool trail to check out is China falls, it's halfway ish between pg and quesnel on the blackwater. Easy to find on backroads mapbook.

I really don't know to many other good trails north of quesnel, all the good stuff seems to be south off hwy 20 or further south.
I can't wait to finish my junk and get back out exploring :( :( :( wheeling the buggy is a blast, but without insurance its a bit limited on where a guy can go.