So, what is interesting around PG (besides Baldy)

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 47 times

So, what is interesting around PG (besides Baldy)

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

I've done Baldy twice now. Short of absolutely thrashing my crap on the bonus lines it seems silly to just keep going back there.

Is there anywhere else that's interesting, or like that? Is there any other peaks that you might be able to make it to with some work?

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Re: So, what is interesting around PG (besides Baldy)

How about Spring Mountain?

It's not too far away, but fairly high at about 5600'. I suspect it's a rocky top as that area is definitely more like that, and the images look like it may be (there's snow though). It looks like there be old logging roads/cutblocks that get you high enough you're into the thin timber so it wouldn't be bushwhacking the whole way. You also could potentially come in from either side, or go over the top and wind up over on the other side to do a loop.
Springtopo.jpg
Springsmall.jpg
Springbig.jpg
Spring.jpg
Might go for a cruise in the JK and see if it's something that's even remotely possible.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

There's a repeater???? site here (Turns out this is called Mt George) that might be interesting to check out, unlikely to be too technical unless it's been abandoned for a long time (it may or may not be there still, Google imagery is easily 10+ years old).

Should be able to access off Willow-Cale FSR. Anyone been there?
repeatertopo.jpg
repeaterclose.jpg
repeater.jpg

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Kimmer said he tried to make it up to the repeater at Mt George but the alder was really thick so he stopped. So it's safe to say nobody has done it in a long time.

Snowracer
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Post by Snowracer »

was talking about this on the weekend and other then baldy or local mud trails there aint much close to PG that is worth a shit to wheel. go up the hard and bang mud holes with the mud guys or drive down fsr roads with jeep club. really need to find some better trails around here

Scoobienorth
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 71 times
Been Liked: 60 times

Post by Scoobienorth »

Snowracer wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:25 pm was talking about this on the weekend and other then baldy or local mud trails there aint much close to PG that is worth a shit to wheel. go up the hard and bang mud holes with the mud guys or drive down fsr roads with jeep club. really need to find some better trails around here
This is very much a bc thing. All over is like this. One maybe two trails that are decent. Everyone keeps the good ones quiet so they don’t get ruined but without use they grow in.

Johnny5
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by Johnny5 »

Just went up baldy last weekend and noticed a lot of growth starting to cover some trails. The loop back down just before it gets narly is almost impossible to see.
There’s a lot of trails we have found but most won’t fit trucks

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Snowracer wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:25 pm was talking about this on the weekend and other then baldy or local mud trails there aint much close to PG that is worth a shit to wheel. go up the hard and bang mud holes with the mud guys or drive down fsr roads with jeep club. really need to find some better trails around here
Yeah, I'm trying to dedicate some time to looking.

The reason I thought that Mt George might be interesting is it's the mountain over from Baldy, basically an extension of the same ridge, so it should be geologically similar. Meaning rocks. The road they put in to the repeater site might not be too hard, but one might be able to cut another line in from another cutblock or something. Or that repeater road might be washed out enough that it could be quite challenging, once you get past the fucking brush. Apparently there is some more recent cuts near it, so if one could get into them and look they might find it. I was going to look there on the weekend, but got distracted with other stuff, so didn't make it.

I went looking for Spring Mountain, and well, turns out I've seen it before. That fucker has a peak on it. :laughing: I ran around the Coalmine FSR side of it and made it to where a bridge was pulled on the access to this cutblock.
Springbigstarred.jpg
Springbigstarred.jpg (78.28 KiB) Viewed 4302 times
Red is where the bridge is pulled, yellow is the cutblock. Sorry the image is crap, but you get the point, blow the other one up if you want to see in more detail.

I was just running around in the JK and was alone, so there was no way I was going to try going through where the bridge is out, but I suspect it's totally doable to get to that cutblock still. But, not much point, the timber will still be too thick where it is to actually be able to make it through and up Spring Mountain at all. Next time I'll look from the other side. But I think from the other side there is potential for some interesting terrain/rock, because it definitely has exposed rock and the peak is well above treeline.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

I did go and run to the "end" of Coalmine FSR. The old maps show it going through to Narrow Lake area, and I believe it still does, just probably isn't passable. It's definitely not passable in anything that is stock, as the road would have stayed in use if it was. The last time I went out here I followed the signs and they take you to an old sort, and the road ends, but that's not actually where the road went. I found where the road does go this time. But it looks like this:
20220905_152904.jpg
I was not going far down that by myself with a stock JK. :lmao: It's a long fucking walk from there to the highway.

I'd be interested in trying to run this road, but I want to look at the other end sometime to see if it's possible that it still goes through. This would not likely be that interesting of a trail, probably just some mud, brush, maybe some huge washouts, if they pulled the bridges you might have to ford some creeks. I don't know. But it is there, it's begging to be driven.

I'll dump some GPS points up eventually, I had my InReach and one of my coworkers gave me his old tablet, and I've suddenly found then when not navigating by dead reckoning I find more things.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

There was also multiple places out there that you would get tantalizingly close to breaking out of the trees and into rocks. So I believe it is possible that the small mountain chain along there offers some good wheeling.
20220905_143259.jpg
Mostly it would be a matter of finding out what cutblocks get close enough, then "just givin' er" from there.

Oh, I fucked up though. I thought I set my InReach to track. I did. I forgot to turn it on to start tracking though. :lmao: So I don't have track paths of where I was, but I have waypoints. Like I said, I'll put them on a map and upload at some point.

I want to believe there is more good wheeling. I do not want to hit mudholes at mach chicken. I do not want to go to the burner every trip.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Johnny5 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:59 pm Just went up baldy last weekend and noticed a lot of growth starting to cover some trails. The loop back down just before it gets narly is almost impossible to see.
There’s a lot of trails we have found but most won’t fit trucks
Umm... What's the loop? Because either I've missed it, or something, or it is just straight up grown up enough to not see unless you know it's there. Sam and friends from Quesnel cut some new bonus lines in and such, they're not very established yet, but the main trail is pretty obvious. It's a little odd at the top that the trail just ends... No obvious loop back or turnaround even. :laughing: I mean, you can do that, but you'd think somebody would have done it enough times to have it make sense.

There's a ridge from the top, going northwest, that might be worth driving out to. Also, dropping off one of the sides and into one of the other cutblocks, or coming up from one of them, could be interesting.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

That was as far as I got on Coalmine FSR, the red Google pin, access from the north, either taking Cutoff FSR from highway 16 or you can come in from Willow-Cale.
Coalmine.jpg
Imagery is probably quite old, but you can see the road continues through to Narrow.

So, might be easy, might be boring, might be impossible.

I got to N53.592910, W121.696601 if you want to map it yourself.

This is probably one to see if any of the Jeep Club want to do. :laughing: Like I said, I want to look on the other side of it and see, there is a road there but it terminated in a cutblock with massive deactivations the last time I went up it.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Another one that was interesting off of Coalmine was Ames. The pin is as far as I could go with my JK, big deactivation/washout there, and I wasn't chancing being stuck in it. :laughing:
Ames.jpg
But you can see the cutblock that it ends in is quite close to the rocky tops of those mountains. Is it something that presents a possible trail? I don't know. But the trees should be thin by the end of that cutblock. If I get up to the end of it I will look.

Coordinates are N53.634598, W121.810145 (that I got to) if anyone is curious themselves. Oh yeah, there was a deactivation before that, I drove around it, no big deal, then realized it was because the bridge was so rotten that you might fall through it. I didn't, but if you put your tires in the wrong place you probably would.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Another one off Coalmine that might be entry into rocks/higher terrain.
Interesting.jpg
I don't know what the name of this FSR is, the sign was gone. I made it to that red Google pin. From there you could clearly see mountains with bare rock exposed.

At the yellow star they had removed a bridge and deactivated it hard.
20220905_144152.jpg
Wasn't going through that in the JK. But if you could (which would take nothing more than 33s and somebody else there if you got stuck), you could make it to the other cutblock with the red star. That's very close to what appears to be thin timber and exposed rock. Can you drive it? Who knows. Could you make a trail that makes any sense? Who knows!

The view back down into the valley from there is nice.
20220905_143129.jpg

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

Here is the area around Narrow Lake I want to look at the next time I'm there.
narrowarea.jpg
Yellow star was where I got to on Coalmine.

Other markers are just the road starts and cutblocks. I don't recall these roads being here off of Narrow Lake FSR, so either they really deactivated them, or they've really grown up, or I'm an idiot. But if you can make it up these ones then again you're into thinning timber and what should be rock.

Again, does this do anything for you, can you make a trail out of it, is it worth going there? Who knows. But I'll look the next time I go.