Island cup 2020

SasquatchCdn
Web Wheeler
Been Liked: 12 times

Island cup 2020

Post by SasquatchCdn »

Been wanting to race the island cup for a number of years, but wasn't quite ready to turn my Hilux into a crushed beer can... been in the market for a buggy for a while but been having a hard time finding anything in Canada that fits my criteria and/or budget.

So that brings us to last month when I won an F-toy on Axlebusters off-road!

Figured it would be rude of me not to race it right?

So I registered for the cup a couple days ago...

Race prep will comence as soon as its not -40 and i can dig it out and get started. It already passes the basic tech requirements but I want to rewire it front to back, reinforce the a pillars and roof a bit, window nets, better bump stops etc.. I also just purchased a set of worn out 39" red label stickies, so gonna be buying or building a set of 17" beadlocks for those.

If anyone is wanting to come hang out and watch it's happening may 123 in sooke BC.

I will try to take some pics and update this thread but no guarantees...

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Re: Island cup 2020

Post by pointsnorth »

Hells yes I was just talking about the island cup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HillBilt
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by HillBilt »

Right on man! will be a good time for sure. Would love to good watch
Building Junk-Wheeling Junk-Breaking Junk

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 140 times
Been Liked: 47 times

Post by Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 »

Never been to the Island Cup. Normally some pretty gnarly stuff and lots of shenanigans there from what I've heard though. Definitely would be worth checking out.

SasquatchCdn
Web Wheeler

Post by SasquatchCdn »

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4 wrote:Never been to the Island Cup. Normally some pretty gnarly stuff and lots of shenanigans there from what I've heard though. Definitely would be worth checking out.
Its 100% worth going, even just to watch someone else wreck their junk.

SasquatchCdn
Web Wheeler

Post by SasquatchCdn »

I spent a few hrs redoing some wiring so I could at least wheel it then took the f-toy for a good flogging sunday... I've got a month worth of fixing all the scabby work that's been done to this thing before I'm ready to start race prep, lol...

As soon as it got dark I fired up the headlights and proceeded to overload the circuit and melt a bunch of wires. Then I had to turn around and head home asap with no lights, or air compressor to run the Lockers.
Got it in the shop this afternoon and started to redo some of what had been done in the past.

Yes those are rebuildable EMF tierod ends... Yes they are welded onto the tierod ... Doh!

Battery tie down is janky and after reading the island cup rules it's actually the only thing that won't pass tech...

The wiring is an absolute abortion, the only relay in the whole car is switching the ground wire to the air compressors via a pressure switch, so all the current is still going through the switch... Wtf... I forgot to take any pics to after I re-wired from the firewall forward, it was something else though...
The fan was wired into the IGN switch so after you shut it off the spining fan would backfeed current to the coil and it would run for 5 seconds before shutting off.
I ordered an Amazon switch panel and I'm going to redo all of it with proper fuses and relays.

It has dual viar compressors an air tank and ARBs front and rear.
The rear one is leaking inside the diff really bad so that's coming apart, and the pressure switch is 110 psi/on 145 psi/off... But there's a 135 psi bleedoff valve on the tank making the whole system effectively useless...

Yup, thats one bolt holding the motor mount onto the motor..

All things considered the bones of it are really good, I've just got to un-fuck years of neglect and abuse before I can trust it in a competition.

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

SasquatchCdn wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:32 pm Image

Yes those are rebuildable EMF tierod ends... Yes they are welded onto the tierod ... Doh!
Who does that? :lmao: :lmao:

Scott Cee AKA 2drx4
Trail Tamer

SasquatchCdn wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:32 pm Yes those are rebuildable EMF tierod ends... Yes they are welded onto the tierod ... Doh!
Who does that? :lmao: :lmao:

pointsnorth
Trail Tamer
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 43 times

Post by pointsnorth »

This is the number one reason I wont buy a vehicle prevously modified. that being said had I been around for the draw I would of dumped some coin on that thing for sure. seeing what has to be fixed so far only the locker issue is the real pain in the ass. Like you said the bones are really good. I seen six shooters with what looks like arp studs

are you going to keep the tsls or go for something lighter for island cup?

SasquatchCdn
Web Wheeler

Post by SasquatchCdn »

Tsl's are gonna go. Swampers suck unless you have lots of power and like the mud, which I don't..
I bought some worn out stickie 39 krawlers, just gotta go pick em up and figure out a set of beadlocks. Looking at some raceline aluminums at the moment, just gotta work out a price.

The clutch slips a bit when you get into it, so the tranny has to come out at some point as well, not a big deal though.

Yes 6 shooters, not sure if the are arp stud yet or not

HillBilt
Actually Wheels
Has Liked: 13 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by HillBilt »

I thought my wiring was bad :lmao: Should be a sweet rig when you're done with it
Building Junk-Wheeling Junk-Breaking Junk

Mr.gutsy
Forum Addict
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Mr.gutsy »

Ohhh shit is that kody phillips old buggy? Im not sure whos it was but i remember rylan carnegie and i think kody phillips took that thing to island cup years ago. Which explains alot of the ghetto....

SasquatchCdn
Web Wheeler

Post by SasquatchCdn »

Mr.gutsy wrote:Ohhh shit is that kody phillips old buggy? Im not sure whos it was but i remember rylan carnegie and i think kody phillips took that thing to island cup years ago. Which explains alot of the ghetto....
I don't think so, it did compete in the island cup before but I think it broke right away, lol

Mr.gutsy
Forum Addict
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Mr.gutsy »

Never mind not kody phillips i think he went down with them. But i definately remember rylan working on it years ago like 2015

SasquatchCdn
Web Wheeler

Post by SasquatchCdn »

Mr.gutsy wrote:Never mind not kody phillips i think he went down with them. But i definately remember rylan working on it years ago like 2015
I think thats the year he competed in the cup.
Said he was really hung over and forgot to engage the lockers and grenaded a diff instantly. They rolled it back on the trailer and headed home.

I'm hoping to do a bit better than that... But no guarantees...